Timeline Question

Decorating By KTB4 Updated 12 Sep 2010 , 2:42pm by bakencake

KTB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTB4 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 11:56pm
post #1 of 6

I have my first wedding cake to do next Saturday and am just wanting some input on my timeline icon_smile.gif I currently have all the layers in the freezer, the cupcakes too. I teach full time, ahev a shift working husband who is of course on afternoons this week plus two kids. Ack!!!

Sunday - colour fondant so that it has a long time to change if it's going to.
Monday - nothing since I have a staff meeting and my own skating practice until 11 pm
Tuesday - cover board and make royal icing after son's meet the teacher night
Wednesday - make and colour all buttercream after my meet the teacher night
Thursday morning before work - take out cakes to thaw
Thursday night after work - fill and crumb coat layers to settle
Friday morning - decorate rehearsal dinner cake to be picked up after lunch
Friday afternoon - cover with fondant
Friday evening - attach ribbon to cakes and decorate cupcakes
- stack 12"&10"
Saturday - deliver at noon and stack 8" onsite and put toppers on at venue

Will I be okay do you think the way I have it layed out? I'm taking Friday off for an "appointment" just to give myself some breathing room and time to freak out.

5 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 4:00am
post #2 of 6

I think it looks fine but I can save you some time...when you take your cakes out to thaw, fill and crumbcoat right then. Then they have all day to settle and it buys you time at night to do something else or relax! Good luck, the first wedding cake is usually the one you panic with the most!

Cat

iluvpeeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvpeeks Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 4:41am
post #3 of 6

I have to tell you that Cat's suggestion about filling and crumbcoating, and wrapping the cakes makes such a big difference in the moistness of the cake. I did it Cat's way for the first time with my newest Grandson's Christening cakes, and then again with my Mom's Birthday Cake. What a huge difference in how moist the cakes were, and I did not have one bulge!
Thanks Cat!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 4:46am
post #4 of 6

You are SO welcome. You don't even need to wrap it after crumbcoating...the crumbcoating keeps the moisture in! Works SO wonderfully!

KTB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTB4 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 2:34pm
post #5 of 6

I did think about doing that (the crumbcoating and filling right after taking them out) but the only times I've filled and crumbcoated frozen cakes is when I've had issues with the final product. Not sure I want to take the chance just yet icon_smile.gif Plus it would mean trying to do all that BEFORE I leave for work which just wouldn't be a pretty sight icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks so much for the advice and input. I'm using SPS too which is why I'm transporting the bottom two layers already stacked. If I thought I could lift it all I'd do all 3 but unless my husband is with me I won't be able to - as he says I'm wimpy icon_biggrin.gif

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 2:42pm
post #6 of 6

good luck and post some pics. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%