Buying Lots Of Cake Mixes Or Dream Whip, Discount???

Decorating By The_Sugar_Fairy Updated 14 Sep 2010 , 5:21pm by jason_kraft

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 11:39pm
post #1 of 16

Hello all,
I make about 2-3 cakes a week. I buy tons of Supermoist Cake Mixes and tons of Dream Whip for my buttercream. Is there anyway to get a discount on either? Has anyone ever tried contacted Kraft or Betty Crocker to see if they'll offer a discount or anything. I do live in Canada though, if that makes a difference.
Thanks!

15 replies
jason_kraft Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 12:05am
post #2 of 16

Amazon.com has pretty good prices for many items in bulk, including Dream Whip:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EQ54YQ/?tag=cakecentral-20

And cake mixes:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EMOD84/?tag=cakecentral-20

elvisb Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 12:17am
post #3 of 16

I'm in a small community, and I talked to the owner of our local grocery store. He sells me everything I use for a deep discount off shelf price. All I have to do is order case quantities. Even if I find something at Walmart, if I bring him the label or bottle, he'll research and see if he can get it in. I make a point to give him a candy tray at Christmas and another goodie tray at some point in the summer. See if you can find someone who will work with you like that. Even though he's getting a smaller percentage of profit, he's moving a lot more quantity--and he knows I do all my grocery shopping in his store. A smart businessman will want to work out a deal with you.

leily Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 1:45am
post #4 of 16

I doubt kraft or betty crocker would sell directly to you since you are not a large distributer, but definitely talk to your local grocery store manager/owner like Elvis said. Along with the owner moving a larger quantity and getting a smaller profit, in the end they'll probably end up getting a deal from the distributer they order product from. Because the more they order typically the better deals they get.

I have not purchased cases of anything yet, but i do have two stores who will give me a discount on the boxes if i order in case quantity.

indydebi Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 9:17am
post #5 of 16

I would buy 3 and 4 cases at a time from walmart (almost weekly!) and didn't get a volume discount. (But since they were 98 cents each at walmart and $2.98 at the "locally owned chain", I didn't mind!)

I did contact General Mills once about buying direct and even with a shop, the volume was outside of my range.

2-3 cakes a week sounds like a lot to you, I know, but in the volume-buying-world, it's not even a drop in the bucket.

You might talk to Sam's or Costco and see what their min-buy would be for them to order something for you. I know Sam's has a business liason in customer service whose job it is to work with their business customers. She ordered a number of things for me that I needed for my catering side of things.

jleigh982 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 10:25am
post #6 of 16

I agree with Indi. I asked at sams club and found that if you tell them what you are looking for 9 times out of 10 they can find it for you....especially if you are a "business member" from cake flour (if you want to start going scratch) all the way down to chocolate squares, stands, as well as serving utensils...I even had one week I was making a few wedding cakes and had a MAJOR fiasco with the icing and didnt have time to make more to cover them all, I ran to sams and they sold me an entire tub of icing, which for me was a LIFE SAVER!

loriemoms Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 12:05pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I would buy 3 and 4 cases at a time from walmart (almost weekly!) and didn't get a volume discount. (But since they were 98 cents each at walmart and $2.98 at the "locally owned chain", I didn't mind!)

I did contact General Mills once about buying direct and even with a shop, the volume was outside of my range.

2-3 cakes a week sounds like a lot to you, I know, but in the volume-buying-world, it's not even a drop in the bucket.

You might talk to Sam's or Costco and see what their min-buy would be for them to order something for you. I know Sam's has a business liason in customer service whose job it is to work with their business customers. She ordered a number of things for me that I needed for my catering side of things.

I agree as well, Sams is SO good about helping business's...They are cheaper then my distributor for butter and powdered sugar! But they also will sell you stuff from their own supply, like their whipped topping and even their cupcake stands they sell. and their coffee supplies are CHEAP.

moxey2000 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 12:54pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkraft

Amazon.com has pretty good prices for many items in bulk, including Dream Whip:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EQ54YQ/?tag=cakecentral-20

And cake mixes:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EMOD84/?tag=cakecentral-20

I use this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000YVF438/?tag=cakecentral-20
It's a better deal (less money, more product) and the taste is just as good as Dream Whip. I've also used one by N'Joy. The 12 oz bags are awesome, I just pour them into a plastic container with a lid and put a measuring spoon inside.

SuzyNoQ Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 1:18pm
post #9 of 16

One of the bulk spice shops near me carries Dream Whip (labeled as whip topping mix) about 8oz cost me $1.25, I have used both in buttercream and there is no difference, looking at the 2 side by side, there is no difference. If you have a bulk spice shop near you it might be a good idea to check it out.

loriemoms Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 3:45pm
post #10 of 16

May I ask why you guys are putting dream whip in your butter-cream? Just curious, does it stabilize it or something?

Loucinda Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 8:44pm
post #11 of 16

loriemoms - it is used in Indydebi's buttercream.

auntginn Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 8:54pm
post #12 of 16

I also would like to know what the dream whip does to the buttercream? Please!!!

indydebi Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 11:01am
post #13 of 16

I've no idea what the dream whip does to the icing except that when everyone was crying about failed icing when Crisco changed to zero trans fat, I was sitting back asking, "they did? it's different? no kidding? huh!" I'd never noticed a thing. Plus people love the taste ..... a cross between regular BC and a whipped cream taste.

I also add one envelope to each cake mix. Helps the cake rise a bit higher.

jleigh982 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 11:21am
post #14 of 16
Quote:

I've no idea what the dream whip does to the icing except that when everyone was crying about failed icing when Crisco changed to zero trans fat, I was sitting back asking, "they did? it's different? no kidding? huh!" I'd never noticed a thing. Plus people love the taste ..... a cross between regular BC and a whipped cream taste.

I also add one envelope to each cake mix. Helps the cake rise a bit higher.

Indydebi- I LOVE your icing recipe and dont use any other ones anymore, its the only one that stands up to this texas heat without melting and crusts well(your a bit of a celebrity in my kitchen)... anywho I think other than improving the taste, dream whip makes it "fluffier" when I make it in my stand up mixer I notice that it has more of a fluffy easier to spread appearance, but maybe thats just me

auntginn Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 4:49pm
post #15 of 16

Ok, I get it! Thank you.

jason_kraft Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 5:21pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:

I've no idea what the dream whip does to the icing

Dream Whip contains several emulsifiers, all of which help to stabilize the frosting mixture, prevent clumping or separation, and ensure a smoother texture.

http://www.foodadditivesworld.com/emulsifiers.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%