Sooooooo Heated

Lounge By TheBlonde Updated 18 Sep 2010 , 4:05pm by Shelle_75

TheBlonde Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 57

I made a large cake with fondant accents for my best friends sisters birthday today. Well I caught one of the kids with their finger in the cake and yelled at her. We put the cake in the house so the kids wouldn't get at it. I went in to grab the cake to sing happy birthday and my entire border is smudged off and my fondant accents are gone! I'm sooooo mad, I yelled at all the kids. What the hell is wrong with them??? My six year old knows better than that!!![/code]

56 replies
cutthecake Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 11:56pm
post #2 of 57

They're undisciplined and unmannered. That's what's wrong with them. But it's not just the kids.
One Christmas Eve, I caught an adult male relative picking the chocolate kisses off of the peanut butter blossom cookies, and leaving the naked peanut butter cookies on the platter. I wanted to smack him senseless, but I realized he already was.
So I ratted him out to his wife. It wasn't pretty. Bet he never did that again.

haymeli Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 12:04am
post #3 of 57

I have this problem constantly with my father in law. It is so embarrassing. For my son's b-day I made cookies for the kids to decorate with edible markers and while all the adults were salivating he walked by the table and stole a few cookies. I was livid. icon_mad.gif Let's not mention he had already eaten like ten earlier in the day that I made specially for him trying to stop hime from embarrassing me. let's not mention the time he ate cookies from an order and I had to start making sugar cookie dough batter at 10 the night before the order was due. I'll stop ranting now. tapedshut.gif

cutthecake Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 12:28am
post #4 of 57

Rant away. You're among friends.

leily Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 1:43am
post #5 of 57

the worst one i've had is my BF's neice put her hand print in the stack of book cakes that I have in my photos. It was in the middle of a family reunion, i did not hold back on correcting her. Her mom wasn't doing it.

Karen421 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 2:41am
post #6 of 57

What is wrong with people! Forget the fact that they don't realize how much work goes into cake, it is manners! Where are their manners?!

TabbieCakes Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 3:05am
post #7 of 57

Puleeeeze dont get me started on people's lack of disciplining their kids! I had a cake ruined by little untrained fingers at a family gathering and my SIL and BIL didn't bother to even ask their kids if they were involved. They just sat there with stupid grins on their faces while I asked who had done it. Never even an "I'm sorry that happened". They actually made me feel bad about getting upset. Like I was in the wrong! No manners at all.

BlueBurd Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 3:28am
post #8 of 57

That's just wrong. I know kids are kids, but they learn it from somewhere...or DON'T learn it from somewhere. And I can't imagine what I'd say to my husband if HE did that (thinking of the PB Kiss Cookie story), well, let's just say those would've been the only kisses he got in a long time!

Coral3 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 5:07am
post #9 of 57

How old were the kids? If they are little kids, then I think yelling at them for touching an eye-catching cake that was left within their reach is a little unfair. If you don't want a cake touched then perhaps it's best to keep it out of reach. Yes, we spend a lot of time working on a cake to have it looking perfect, but in the end it's just a cake - and cakes are made to be enjoyed and eaten. BUT...if the kids were old enough to know better then that's entirely different...

Franluvsfrosting Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 6:02am
post #10 of 57

I did a cake for my step niece today and we remained at the wedding. It was the first one in a long time where I was actually at the wedding and reception. I was all stressed out at first because these little girls kept coming over to the table and getting far too close for my comfort. Then another one came over with her mother and poked the cake!!!! Mom pulled the hand away after a few seconds and the kid poked it again!!!!! I was about ready to go spank them both!

I told my sister (who had paid for the cake) and then decided I needed to pretend I didn't make it. Bride had seen it and loved it. My sister and her husband (bride's dad) had seen it and they were the ones who'd paid for it. So for my own sanity (and so I didn't go to jail!) I had to just let it go. Fortunately the girl poked it on the ribbon and it didn't do any visible damage but sheesh! I don't understand how a parent stands there and watches their kid poke someone else's wedding cake!

You can tell me all you want that a big, pretty cake within reach is too tempting for small kids but I have four who have known better or been watched like hawks until they did. I've never had one of my kids do something like that because I was actively being a parent and teaching them consideration of others and respect for other people's things.

Well, I guess I needed to rant too! icon_redface.gificon_biggrin.gif

sweetooth0510 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 6:28am
post #11 of 57

It's not just the kids! I was at a wedding for a girlfriend where I had made the cake, I sat there as groups of people would go up to take a photo of the cake and at least 3-4 people (all women) touched the cake in various places .. feeling the fondant roses, touching the fondant covering. My husband had to physically hold me back from hurting someone ... I mean would you go up to the bride and starting touching her makeup or her hair??? For one it's unhygenic! And don't even get me started on the woman who said to me as I took a couple of photos 'well, I guess it's what the bride wanted!'

TheBlonde Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 12:27pm
post #12 of 57

The kids were 5, 6 and 9. They should have known better. My six years old does. We moved the cake into the house and told the kids that they were not allowed inside. Guess they didn't listen to that either. My best friend was PO'd just as much as I was but her sister could care less. She said "Well kids will be kids" BS!!! Guess that's why two of the kids that touched the cake were her 5 year old twin girls!!! And when I was yelling at the kids inside there were two woman looking at me like I had 10 heads! I felt kind of bad getting so mad but I put a lot of work into it!

On a side note...My daughter came up to me after I discovered the cake and said "I'm so sorry Mommy that they ruined the cake. If I saw them doing it I would have stopped them. They are very inconsiderate and rude." LOL That's my girl. icon_smile.gif

Karen421 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 12:52pm
post #13 of 57

At the risk of being flamed, I just had to address this, so I apologize now!

It doesnât matter the age of the kids, they were old enough to be running around unattended, therefore; they are old enough to be disciplined. Discipline is not the same as punishment, it is teaching your child right from wrong. It is teaching your child how to respect the rights of others, and what behaviors are acceptable and which are not. Sticking fingers in cake is not acceptable! I believe this has to start very early, thatâs just my opinion. If you donât want to discipline your kids, then perhaps they should be left at home.

icon_lol.gif

cakes47 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 1:09pm
post #14 of 57

I think, from what I've seen, that most of today's parents are extremely selfish me, me, me
people and couldn't give a hoot about disciplining their ME, ME, ME kids!!! icon_evil.gif

deMuralist Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 1:18pm
post #15 of 57

do these parents also allow their children to poke their "who knows where they have been" fingers in the other food at the reception? or at a picnic? or at their own bbq? That is disgusting. Neither of my children would have ever thought they should try to get away with something like this.

cakes47 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 1:24pm
post #16 of 57

They let them do whatever they want to do. Poking any and all foods is fair game to them.
At the market, a mother picking out some sort of meats, while right there beside her, one
of her little B*****ds stood poking holes in the plastic meat wrappings!!! I finally told her
to make her child stop it. All I got was a dirty look and she smiled adoringly at the brat.
I called the meat cutter out to get rid of several (3) packages the brat ruined!!!
AAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH icon_evil.gif

TheBlonde Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 1:32pm
post #17 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by deMuralist

do these parents also allow their children to poke their "who knows where they have been" fingers in the other food at the reception? or at a picnic? or at their own bbq? That is disgusting. Neither of my children would have ever thought they should try to get away with something like this.

Well actually yes...I caught one of the twins picking up a chip, playing with it and then putting it back in the bowl. I luckily saw this and took the chip out to toss it. I had to talk to her about not doing that. Then she tried to double dip. I stopped her and explained that she can't do that. I made her a plate with some on it...

weirkd Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 1:51pm
post #18 of 57

Im with Karen! Five means Kindergarten and that means that they know better. I have neighbors that have had one kid after another and doesnt watch one of them. They were constantly over my house, walking in without knocking, taking things out of my fridge and breaking my daughters toys. She obviously doesnt teach them anything because she is too busy making more. So I told her kids that they were no longer allowed at my house.
If their allowed to do it early on and not being corrected then their going to continue to do it among other things as they get older. Putting a cake where they cant get to it is ridiculous. No matter where you put it, if they have no manners, their still going to find it and do the same thing.

TabbieCakes Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 1:59pm
post #19 of 57

I totally agree. Its about the training. At my family gathering, the cake was in the upstairs apt while the party was in the downstairs apt. They went where they weren't supposed to, did the damage and flat out lied about it and their parents never said a word. My son is five and has known for quite some time to keep his hands to himself and to only touch his OWN food or dessert! That kids will be kids crap is pure BS! Because kids grow into adults. Then what?!

sugalips Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 2:24pm
post #20 of 57

I believe in discipline. Many parents believe in the "natural" way of raising children, meaning let them go and do what they feel like doing then covering it by saying they are exploring and finding out about the world. Finding out about the world my @$$!! Do you let them stick their finger in a light socket so they can experience electricity!?! And just because you are at someone else's house doesn't mean they watch your kids for you. Keep your grubby little fingers out of my food!!!!!!!!! icon_mad.gif

gemstone2404 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 2:28pm
post #21 of 57

I had a nephew last saturday that had already had some cake, i cut him another piece because he wanted some, and after all it is a party. He was sitting in front of the cake and started putting his hands in the cake and eating it!!! I told him to stop it and eat the cake on his plate. The cake was already cut so I wasn't worried about him messing it up, it was just GROSS!!!! If there are no consequences for their actions, then why would they ever listen.

luckylibra Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 3:33pm
post #22 of 57

it is so much lack of parenting. In addition to being a hobby baker I am a juvenile probation officer and it is unfortunately a wide spread problem of "parents" not knowing how or caring to discipline and teach their children manners and etiquette. Most of the kids that end up in trouble were the four and five year olds that did whatever they wanted and the parents let it go. I recall when I was pregnant with my first child several people told me I had to "child proof" my home, pick up all the nick nacks etc.. I was a little confused.. I planned to be with my child and raise her to understand what was right and wrong so there was no need for that type of child proofing.. once their kids came over I realized why they said that.. they had no control over them and let them grab everything.. I never allowed it and therefor never had that problem with my child in my home or anyone elses... it is in the parenting or lack there of.. my rant.. sorry

lulumama Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 4:14pm
post #23 of 57

Even my 2 and a half year old knows not to touch Mummys cakes...she found a chocolate cake too tempting and stripped the ganache off the side once, and got the telling off of her life!

Now she looks at me doing cakes and solemnly declares "I not touch the cake Mummy!"

dm321 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 4:45pm
post #24 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral3

How old were the kids? If they are little kids, then I think yelling at them for touching an eye-catching cake that was left within their reach is a little unfair. If you don't want a cake touched then perhaps it's best to keep it out of reach. Yes, we spend a lot of time working on a cake to have it looking perfect, but in the end it's just a cake - and cakes are made to be enjoyed and eaten. BUT...if the kids were old enough to know better then that's entirely different...

No offense, but I think ANY kid who can reach a cake on a counter or table SHOULD KNOW BETTER... and deserves a reprimand.

Just my opinion though...
~diem

preseliz Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 5:12pm
post #25 of 57

I've got one!! I was at Wal-Mart the other day and saw two young women in their early 20's in the milk/dairy section. I sat there and watched as they took out a container of flavored creamer, unscrewed the lid, REMOVED part of the seal, and poured some of it on her finger to taste it. Apparently she didn't like it, so she put the lid back on it and stuck it back in fridge. She THEN got ANOTHER flavor and did the same thing. As I watched her do this I got SO LIVID because I sat there thinking to myself, "You know...I PAY higher prices for groceries because of people like these numnuts who think it's their RIGHT to do whatever they darn well please and ruin things so others pay more." So I looked at her and said, "Are you really taking the seal off of that and tasting it?" And her little friend says, "Oh, she's buying it". And they took off with it. I then had to go find a worker and let them know what had happened and she was so mad at how stupid people seem to be these days. And it's exactly that...people have the "me" mentality and the "I'm entitled" mentality. Ridiculous!

frankdiabetes Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 5:32pm
post #26 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbieCakes

Because kids grow into adults. Then what?!

Then they become bride/groomzillas!

awatterson Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 5:34pm
post #27 of 57

Preseliz, I am glad that you said something. Good for you.

adonisthegreek1 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 5:37pm
post #28 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral3

Unless the kids were all one or two-year-olds, then their behavior shows that they are most likely being raised by idiots who don't discipline their kids. At my daughter's sweet 16 party, I had a teenage moron stick her finger into my chocolate fountain. I blurted out a few choice words to her before I realized it.

Also, I think most of us here would agree that our cakes are so much more than "just cake."

JRAE33 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 5:47pm
post #29 of 57

Wow. I am glad to hear that others deal with this...well, not glad you have to deal with it, but glad to know I am not alone. I have my share of kid/cakes stories, but the top one has to be...my brothers graduation party, I made the cake. During the party, I glance over at the cake and my cousin (oh, probably 4 at the time) had her face in the cake and was eating it...I could NOT believe it!!

indydebi Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 9:18pm
post #30 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlonde

Well actually yes...I caught one of the twins picking up a chip, playing with it and then putting it back in the bowl. I luckily saw this and took the chip out to toss it. I had to talk to her about not doing that. Then she tried to double dip. I stopped her and explained that she can't do that. I made her a plate with some on it...

Had a catering where the family had everyone in the buffet line and THEN decided to say grace. So everyone is more interested in holding their place in line instead of watching the 3 little boys who were dipping their hands in the coolers filled with cans of soda .... scooping up ice, putting it in their mouths and SPITTING it back into the cooler!

I walk over and said, "Let's not play in the ice, guys, because people are putting that ice in their drinks and we don't want them to have ice that has been in our mouths,, do we?"

The CATERER, who by the way did NOT bring the coolers of soda, so they are technically NOT my responsibility, is the person who has to tell these kids "don't spit in the ice!"

Dumba$$es!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%