How To Apply Ribbon On Your Cake And Make It Stay

Decorating By melissa25 Updated 11 Sep 2010 , 11:54pm by MJoycake

melissa25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissa25 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 10:13pm
post #1 of 6

Does anybody know how to make satin ribbon stay on a fondant cake if you are going to use it as a border. icon_smile.gif

5 replies
CakeMom5001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMom5001 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 10:35pm
post #2 of 6

I think you can glue it with a little corn syrup.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 11:01pm
post #3 of 6

i would use a little royal icing to make it stick together, but then it won't soak through the ribbon like bc might

ozgirl42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ozgirl42 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 11:26pm
post #4 of 6

I wait 24hours before attaching the ribbon band. I put a dab or royal icing where the ribbon will overlap and use a pin pushed through the ribbon into the cake to hold it until the icing is dry, then remove the pin.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 11:30pm
post #5 of 6

I just use a little crusting BC. I pipe a small strip, as wide as the ribbon, and then stick one end of the ribbon to that, then, I pipe another strip that's the same width as the ribbon but overlap the strip on the cake and the ribbon so when I bring the end around the end is being held down with both the bc on the cake and the bc on the ribbon. Because the bc is crusting it sets up really quickly!

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 11:54pm
post #6 of 6

I use double sided fabric tape found in the sewing section of any craft store. I start wrapping the ribbon, then put the double sided tape on the end that will overlap and tack it back onto the ribbon. It holds perfectly, it's holding the ribbon to the ribbon, the tape does not touch the cake, it leaves no greasy marks and it's easy enough to un-do for the cutting so that they're not mangling the cake trying to get it undone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%