Cake Disaster!! What Did I Do Wrong??

Decorating By sechrestloans Updated 11 Sep 2010 , 8:55pm by sechrestloans

sechrestloans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sechrestloans Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 4:09pm
post #1 of 3

I had a cake due today and I totally messed it up. It was a camo cake, and it was supposed to have deer antlers coming out the top of it. I had made two sets to be safe, one out of krispy treats covered in fondant and one made out of gumpaste that were smaller. The kripsy ones were too big and bulky, the gumpaste ones were just the right size. I had inserted dowels so they would stick in the cake. When I put them in, they were too heavy and slid into the cake. Now there is a hole in the top of the cake that I had to cover with frosting and no antlers. To top it off they broke in half when they slid into the cake. What was I supposed to do to keep these antlers sticking up out of the top of the cake???

2 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sechrestloans

I had inserted dowels so they would stick in the cake. When I put them in, they were too heavy and slid into the cake. Now there is a hole in the top of the cake that I had to cover with frosting and no antlers. To top it off they broke in half when they slid into the cake. What was I supposed to do to keep these antlers sticking up out of the top of the cake???

Insert the dowelled antlers into straws or hidden pillars to keep them upright. Perhaps you can "glue" the broken gumpaste antlers back together with egg whites and try inserting them into the cake again.

sechrestloans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sechrestloans Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 8:55pm
post #3 of 3

thank you! I skipped the antlers since I ran out of time, but I will know better for next time. The pilars are a great idea! Must be a full moon or something because even my letters broke in half and had to glue those back together with RI at the last minute. Just one of those days...bound to happen sooner or later icon_surprised.gifops

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%