This Cake Made Me Want To Hang Up My Spatula And Quit!

Decorating By awatterson Updated 11 Sep 2010 , 7:59pm by awatterson

awatterson Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 10

It normally doesn't take that long to ice a cake, but last night I spent 5 hours trying to get the icing even. I finally went to bed at 12:30. I got up this morning and went to stack the cakes and the icing on the top tier cracked. I ended up taking all of the icing off and making a new batch of icing and I started all over again.

I think that my icing was too thin the first time around which is what caused the problems.

Any tips on not destroying the top layer when you put it on the bottom layer would be greatly appreciated.

I did use the SPS and I am glad that I did. That was the only thing that went right with the cake.

9 replies
awatterson Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 2:52pm
post #2 of 10

I couldn't get the picture to attach, but it is the cake with the ribbon in my photos.

kansaslaura Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:08pm
post #3 of 10

Looks great now! All's well that ends well!

saradha Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:14pm
post #4 of 10

hey, i am not sure if you have tried using the wilton cake stacker boards.
they come in stainless steel and cardboard and could rely help in not destroying the top layer while placing it on the bottom..
As for the icing, where u using butter icing by any chance? cuz butter icing splits if its overbeaten or kept out in the heat for too long...
anyway i hope this helps you....

awatterson Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:19pm
post #5 of 10

I haven't ever seen the stacker boards. I was using the Wilton cake lifter to get it up and then I put my hand under the cake and put it on the SPS board. I was using buttercream dream.

Thanks kansaslaura. I am not sure that it has ended well yet. I just want the customer to come and get it and then I will be able to breathe.

catlharper Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 4:45pm
post #6 of 10

No answers for you but I can commisserate! This past June I had a simple recreation of a wedding cake to do...buttercream finish, simple piped edging, some Mikey Ears on it and it should have taken me about an hour....5 hours later! UGH. High heat and humidity did me in. That was the day I discovered IndyDebi's buttercream and I haven't gone back<G>. But I swear that one cake was going to do me in!

awatterson Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 5:39pm
post #7 of 10

I am glad I am not the only one!

awatterson Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 7:30pm
post #8 of 10

I guess she loved it because she gave me an additional $20! Phew. I am glad that it is out of my house!

kakeladi Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 7:53pm
post #9 of 10

You ended up with a REALLY beautiful cake for all your headaches icon_smile.gif

awatterson Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 7:59pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you kakeladi!

Quote by @%username% on %date%