Help With The Sylvia Weinstock Yellow Recipe

Baking By dreamcakesmom Updated 12 Sep 2010 , 8:45pm by luddroth

dreamcakesmom Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 6

So i love this recipe and thie first couple times I made it it came out perfect. Wll the last several times I made it I am having trouble with it shrinking and the top which had risen nicely in baking flattens and sags. I made cuppies this week using this recipe and they sank where the tops actually were indented. Anyone who uses this have this problem or have insigts on how to fix:

2-1/4 cups sifted cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 pound (2 sticks) sweet butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
4 large egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup sour cream
4 large egg whites

Sift dy ingredients, cream butter, add sugar, cream until fluffy, add eggyolks and vanilla, add dry and sour cream alternating and finishing with dry. separately whip egg whites and then fold in until oncorporated

5 replies
Maria925 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:09pm
post #2 of 6

I have no insight, but I will say that this is the yellow cake recipe I use also and lately it has been shrinking quite a bit! I think I'm going to try lowering my oven temp. Right now I bake at 350 because when I try 325 my cakes ALWAYS sink (even using bake strips). I have a very temperamental oven! The first half a dozen times I made this recipe it was perfect. I'm not sure why it's suddenly happening either!!!

artscallion Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:40pm
post #3 of 6

Are you using...
2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour or
2 1/4 cups cake flour, sifted.
If you're weighing, I use a little less than 8oz in this recipe

Are you starting with everything at room temp, including the eggs and sour cream?

The bulk of leavening in this recipe comes from air you incorporate. So make sure you really cream and beat things for as long as indicated? I'm sure you're just abbreviating the recipe to save time in your post. But the real recipe instructions are more specific...

1.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter and line two 9 x 3-inch baking pans or one 12 x 3-inch pan with parchment.

2.  Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

3.  Cream the butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer until fluffy and light in color, about 2 minutes on medium speed. Add the sugar and continue to mix until fluffy and light (I go another 2 or 3 minutes).

4.  Add the egg yolks, one at a time, being sure each is well incorporated before adding the next one. (beat 20 seconds between each egg) Add the vanilla.

5.  Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the dry ingredients alternately with the sour cream, beginning and ending with the flour. Be sure the mixture is completely blended after each addition. Scrape the sides of the bowl, and beat for 1 minute.

6.  In a separate bowl, with clean beaters, beat the egg whites to soft peaks. Gently fold the whipped egg whites into the batter with a rubber spatula.

7.  Pour the batter into the prepared pans and smooth with a rubber spatula. Bake in the preheated oven, 60 minutes for the 12-inch square pan or 45 to 50 minutes for the 8-inch pan. The top of the cake should be nicely browned. Test for doneness with a skewer or a toothpickÑthe tester should come out dry and clean.

dreamcakesmom Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 9:02pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for your responses. My ingredients are brought to room temp so I don;t think that is the problem but now that you mention it i do 2 1/4 c flour then sift. hmmm. Other than that I thought I followed ok. I love the taste but for cuppies espeically the shrinking is unacceptable. Have to keep working on it I guess

LindaF144a Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 8:34pm
post #5 of 6

To add what artscallion said -

If you don't weigh your ingredients then every time you are making it you are not adding the same amount. I wish that all recipes gave the weight also, so one would not have to guess. My guess is that the reason why it may have changed recently is the weather change. Humidity can probably play a part in the moisture in the flour. So say yuo measure a cup of flour today the same way you did a month ago, then it could be heavier because of more or less humidity in the air.

There is also how the flour is different between winter wheat and summer wheat. Plus if you changed brands of flour that could make a difference too. The protein percentage is different from brand to brand

Try measuring a cup of flour three times in a row and weigh it. I would be surprised if you got the same weight of flour on each measurement.

I weigh all my ingredients now instead of measuring. If a recipe is 3 cups of flour, sifted then I multiply by 4.1. If the recipe says 3 cups sifted flour, I multiply 3 by 3.5. These are standard weights put out in several books. It may not be totally accurate, but it is a good start.

luddroth Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 8:45pm
post #6 of 6

I agree that the method and the weather are probably the culprits. With a scratch cake, you really have to be precise with measurements and method. The whipping time, the alternating liquid and dry, the room temp (especially the eggs). Atmospheric pressure can affect how a cake rises. My grandmother always said to avoid baking on a rainy day -- I don't know exactly why, but I think the humidity and low pressure have an effect. I now have an air-conditioned and humidity controlled kitchen, and it does make a big difference -- recipes are just more reliably consistent with the weather taken out of the equation.

Quote by @%username% on %date%