I Hate This Cricut !!!!! Help!

Lounge By mom2my3girlz Updated 14 Sep 2010 , 12:50pm by Martina

mom2my3girlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2my3girlz Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 2:23pm
post #1 of 12

I have a cake due...a wedding cake. It is white with black demask prints. I barely use this cricut because it is so difficult to work with. I have played with the pressure...needle/blade...get stuck and ruins it....then when it does cut right (only once for the pass 3 hours) I polk out the access and freeze it. Still cant get it right. I have had a hard time with this machine and only used it once before today.

Can anyone help me? What am I dooing wrong? Here are my steps:
roll out fondont thin
medium pressure
cut it (pray it wont get stuck)
polk out access
freeze
and then pray I can get it onto cake.

HELP! Is anyone else having these Cricut nighmares!

11 replies
snshin1993 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snshin1993 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 2:46pm
post #2 of 12

I read in the forum that if you freeze the fondant after you roll it out for a little while it will cut out better. personally I don't own a curcit but they sound interesting

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 12

Are you using the cake cricut or a regular one? If you're using the regular one, make sure you put in the deep blade housing/blade first.
I've heard to either freeze the fondant after rolling it out or let it sit and dry for about 15 minutes before cutting. I've also seen that you should clean the blade often.
I let mine sit and dry and it worked well. But I'm only doing small letters for cupcakes, not a big design like you are, and on a regular cricut.
Good luck, hope you get it figured out!

FACSlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FACSlady Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 4:33pm
post #4 of 12

My husband just bought me a cricut cake, and I find I'm having problems, too. I've started with some pre-made cricut sheets because I thought they might be easiest. I wanted to make some 1 1/4 inch designs for cupcakes. I started with leaves, which worked pretty well, but when I tried to do a fleur de lis, or anything more intricate than the leaves, the blade lifted the fondant off the mat when it was cutting and made a huge mess out of everything. I put more shortening down, hoping it would stick better, but still had no luck. Those pre-made sheets are really thin - almost see-though, which I also didn't like. I'm really hoping to love my new toy, so I hope someone can help me out.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 4:48pm
post #5 of 12

I mix my fondant with tylose, quite a bit of it...like a tablespoon for a cup of fondant...then roll out to the thiness of a dime and let it sit out over night to set up. This works for me every single time. Also the instructions say not to cut out alphabets smaller than 1 inch or intricate patterns smaller than 3 inches.

Cat

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 5:03pm
post #6 of 12

Don't panic, but it does require a lot of practice. Freezing doesn't work for me at all because of our climate. I add tylose to my fondant, roll it very thin on the mat. (so that you can see the lines through the fondant) Then the key for me is to let it air dry until it is firm but NOT hard. (This is where the practice comes in) Then cut on 3 pressure and 3 for speed, and wait a little longer before you move them. I have 6 mats so I can roll, cut and let sit without having to wait to long. This is a very long thread, but it is very informative, and has a lot of great ideas! GOOD LUCK!

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-678490-success.html+cricut+pic+tips

cakesage Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesage Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 5:13pm
post #7 of 12

After much trial and error myself, and reading all the advice here this is what worked for me.

1. Any fondant that you use add some tylose. Worked well with Duff's black fondant, regular marmallow fondant or even Jennfer Dontz's fondant infused with chocolate.

2. Roll fondant out thin and then place on to mat with Crisco shortening. Don't go crazy with the Crisco. Smooth out lightly with fondant smoother.

3. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes or more. You can prepare the machine in the meantime, or finish something else.

4. The settings that worked for me were medium sped and medium pressure.

5. Carefully remove with small spatula. If when removing there is distortion, place mat back in refrigerator for a few minutes. This hardens
the pieces for better removal. That is why you shouldn't add so much Crisco, just enough to adhere.

I hope this really works for you. I know what you are going through. Let me know if this works for you. Don't give up. Once it works, you are going to be really happy.
thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

vkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vkat Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 5:17pm
post #8 of 12

I have been hit and miss with my cricut also. I have tried several different ways. I have found that I can't use fondant (too soft). I am willing to try it with tylose.

I came across this video. It is from Linda McClure. When I have time I am going to try this method.

Good Luck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpq_bXhD3c4&feature=related

BrightDelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrightDelights Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 8:31pm
post #9 of 12

All the above are great tips, but here is what works for me:

1. Make sure your blade is clean before every cut. If there is any build up at all it will affect how it cuts.
2. Michelle Fosters Fondant cuts great in the cricut. Some friends and I had a cricut trial night and this was what cut the best for us without freezing or letting set up prior to cutting.
3. Be sure to roll thin enough so that you can just see the lines through the mat.
4. Have several mats, so you can roll out, cut and let the cuts sit and dry on the mat before removing. This will help them keep their shape.
5. Use an artists palette knife to remove your cuts. It is thinner than the palette knife that came with the cricut cake tool kit and is easier to slide under the cuts to remove them without distorting.

Have patience, practice and don't stress! Good Luck!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 10:27pm
post #10 of 12

I love the idea of a cricut trial night with your friends! That could be a lot of fun! thumbs_up.gif

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 1:19am
post #11 of 12

awesome idea about the palette knife! thanks!

Martina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Martina Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 12:50pm
post #12 of 12

Great ideas, thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%