Making A 1/2 Sheet Out Of 2 1/4 Sheets

Decorating By TabbieCakes Updated 12 Sep 2010 , 2:49am by TabbieCakes

TabbieCakes Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 2:18pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone!

I already posted this question under a different title, and one member was kind enough to give an opinion, but I really would like to hear from more people on this.

I need to make a half sheet, but only have 1/4 sheet pans and my oven is too small to accomodate anything larger anyway.

Since I will need to cover the whole thing in fondant, I'm worried about putting two (torted) 1/2 sheet cakes next to each other, for fear the fondant will eventually tear where the two cakes are connected in the middle.

I'm thinking about doing this:
1. Cutting the two 1/4 sheets in half horizontally (for torting puposes), which will create 4 pieces.
2. Putting two of the pieces next to each other on the cake board.
3. Laying down the filling (between the pieces lying next to each other and on top of both).
4. Taking the third piece and placing it over the "seam" formed in the middle by the two layers already placed down.
5. Cutting the remaing piece in half and placing on either side of the piece I just layed down in the middle.

I'll be putting a fondant covered cross cake on the top left of all this.

Does this make sense? Does it sound like a good idea? Any better ideas out there? Is it necessary?

5 replies
Monirr04 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 6

One suggestion...when i have to put two cakes side by side (like different flavors) i connect the two pieces with icicng, it helps hide the seam and not seperate.

Hope this helps a little.

kansaslaura Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 6

I've joined a lot of 1/4 sheets to make 1/2 sheets when people want 2 different flavors 'under one roof'

Just be sure they're both exactly the same height and do run a bead of frosting between the two to join them and frost as usual. Shouldn't have a problem.

TabbieCakes Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 2:10am
post #4 of 6

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question in either post.

It seems the concensus is I was making something simple into something complicated! Leave it to me icon_wink.gif

Thanks again everyone! I really appreciate it and will do as suggested.

erincc Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 2:14am
post #5 of 6

Yep, I just did this today. Works great when people want 1 sheet cake with 2 different flavors. I wouldn't worry about trying to patch up the top layer like you described. Just kind of "glue" together with a thin layer of frosting. Especially with the cross cake on top, it's not going anywhere.

TabbieCakes Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 2:49am
post #6 of 6

Thank you! That makes me feel better. I guess I'm just nervous because its my first cake at a big event and I'm trying hard to avoid emarassing disasters! I'm gonna take a chill pill now. Lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%