9.10.10 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 11 Sep 2010 , 11:56am by SugarKissesCakery

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:47am
post #31 of 42

Late check-in for me.

We got home midday from 4 days at the beach and I've been trying to get unpacked, etc AND finish my nieces' birthday cakes. They are only 11mos apart so we still do a combo party midway between the two bdays.

I thought I was in good shape. Cakes baked last week & stashed in the freezer. Fondant flowers done before we left. Colored frostings all made.

Defrosted the cakes when we got home (they were already filled & crumbcoated). Frosted them with the pre-mixed BC--The base color of frosting is a little darker than I hoped but still good.

The green fondant I made for the flower leaves is SO not the right color (too yellow) and I'm not happy with how the pre-made flowers turned out. Time to fall back & punt. I was aiming for a package w/fondant ribbon and a big 3D flower instead of a loopy bow. Going w/big, flat pop-art flowers w/sparkly centers. Electric pink & orange on a lime background. Super girly.

Not sure if I'll be here next week--having some minor surgery on Fri so no cakes and no idea how I will feel. I have a couple of small bday cakes for friends but those go out Thursday.

Happy caking y'all.
Kristy

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:51am
post #32 of 42

Hope everything goes well for you Kristy.

Marina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marina Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:55am
post #33 of 42

It'll be a late night for me. Making a Dobro guitar cake, due tomorrow. Didn't have time to go to the store yesterday so had to go this afternoon and then bake and decorate. I don't know why I alwys put everything off til the last minute. I've got another cake due Sunday!!! At least this one is already baked!!!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:55am
post #34 of 42

I'll be thinking about you, Kristy. Check in with us while you're recuperating, if you can.

I'm working on 2 dozen mini-cupcakes and 2 dozen regular cupcakes. I'm covering them with fondant for the first time. It's much easier than I thought it would be, even using an impression mat. I'm not thrilled with the final design but don't know what to change to fix it.

I'm also reading a cake ball thread on the recipe board. I had no idea you could flatten and bake them as cookies.

Tea42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tea42 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 4:02am
post #35 of 42

I've been reading the cake ball thread too. So many wonderful forums here, I'm amazed how these great bakers find time to help us newbies out!

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 4:26am
post #36 of 42

Hi everyone, I have another army helmet cake to make tomorrow & thats it. So sleepy as I had to do a double shift for work today so now need to get some sleep because I have to be up at 6:30 for work & when I finish that I have to get my cake ready for pick-up at 5. So good night all sweet dreams!

KJ62798 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 5:25am
post #37 of 42

Thanks for all the well wishes. Doc swears this is an easy-peasy deal that rates a 5/10 on the pain scale so hopefully I can pop in to say Hi next Friday. I'll probably be bored out of my mind since I can't really DO anything.

Here's what I've been working on tonight. (Let's see if it will attach) This was the back-up plan. The 2 small cakes are for the girls so that they each have a candle-cake. The lollipops w/the numbers will go on each small cake to show their ages.

Not sure what to do w/the sides and bottom border. Default for me is random dots w/a BC bead border. I may leave the sides plain. I do have an orange ribbon. I also have bunch of pink & orange fondant left. I guess I could do a ball border in alternating pink-orange but the cake comes right to the edge of the board at 2 corners since I angled it.

OK--attachments not working let me see if I can get it in my gallery.

KJ62798 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 5:29am
post #38 of 42

Yeah--the gallery let me upload. Now let's see if the link will work.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1799992&done=1

Kristy

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 5:40am
post #39 of 42

Nothing for me tonight....playing around with ideas for a bridal shower cake for a co-worker.....

ellangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellangel Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 5:55am
post #40 of 42

Hi Everyone,

I've always been a lurker here, and thought tonight I'd post.

I already delivered two birthday cakes this week. Nothing for me tonight just planning for the next week. I will have a John Deere birthday cake and a couple dozen bridal shower cupcakes. All squeezed in between my two other jobs as a preschool teacher and graphic designer!

I envy all of you who can focus on cakes, someday in the future I will too. And Leah, Wow! Four wedding cakes! I so admire you! (and jealous too!)

Good luck on your surgery Kristy! Will keep you in my prayers.

Libby

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 11:32am
post #41 of 42

Sugarkisses, your cake is beautiful and your bow and quilting are perfect! Did you use an impression mat or embosser or a ruler?

Sandy

SugarKissesCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarKissesCakery Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 11:56am
post #42 of 42

Thanks Sandy! I honestly can't believe I pulled off my second wedding cake. I have a one year old and a four year old so it wasn't easy for sure! To get the quilting effect, I used an impression mat after the cake was well crusted.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%