Satin Ice Emergency Please Help!

Decorating By Destinys_Delights Updated 13 Sep 2010 , 6:32am by adventuregal

Destinys_Delights Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 1:47am
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone, I just got two 5lb buckets of Red & Black fondant yesterday for tonight, cake is due 10am tomorrow. Both of them are so dry that any bend and it cracks icon_mad.gif , has this happend to anyone else or does anyone have any tips to fix this. Thanks so much for your help icon_cry.gif

8 replies
delaware Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 1:49am
post #2 of 9

Did you try adding some shortening to it?

Destinys_Delights Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 1:54am
post #3 of 9

I used shortening to roll it out and alittle while kneading but not alot how much should I try adding?

msulli10 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 2:04am
post #4 of 9

Add a little at a time until it gets to the consistency you are happy with. I don't usually find Satin Ice dry when I first open it. It's usually too soft.

G_Cakes Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 2:09am
post #5 of 9

This was a trick someone on CC once shared with me regarding softening hard fondant

Try putting it in the microwave but only for a few seconds at a time... then knead it.

I agree msulli10 Satin Ice is usually to soft for me, I usually let it sit for a while after pulling it out just to firm it up a bit.

tsal Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 2:24am
post #6 of 9

This happened to me last week. I bought some green Satin Ice and it was horribly dry! I just added shortening until it was the right consistency. I ended up with a perfectly covered cake - it all turned out okay.

Good luck - try the shortening!

cakeastic Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 8:37pm
post #7 of 9

That happened to me too with a 5lb bucket
I guess ill try adding lots of shortening next time icon_eek.gif

Kimmers971 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 11:44pm
post #8 of 9

That's strange - usually their colors (especially red and black) are sticky and softer than ivoryor white. BUT...I had a recent problem (2 actually) with 4 buckets of ivory and have been in touch with SI directly. If it is causing you alot of trouble, call them and discuss it. Their website is and talk Joyce - she is very helpful.

Good Luck!

adventuregal Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 6:32am
post #9 of 9

I've decided Duff fondant is way too soft. So I feel your pain tonight-in the opposite way icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%