Wilton Impression Mat

Decorating By manahigh Updated 12 Sep 2010 , 4:02am by manahigh

manahigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manahigh Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 1:39am
post #1 of 10

Hi Everyone, I am doing a birthday cake this week for my granddaughter. It is to be a pillow cake with princess tiara. I would like to cover the pillow in fondant and impress a design into the fondant in order to give it some texture. Does anyone have any experience with the Wilton impression mats? I had a Wilton Instructor try and demonstrate it once, by rolling the fondant on the mat and then placing it on the cake but the design got all stretched out when she was smoothing it down. It just didn't seem like it worked at all. Time is too short to order some other brand and Wilton is the only thing available locally. It would help to hear about your experiences before I go spend the $15. Thanks to all that respond.

9 replies
manahigh Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 12:37pm
post #2 of 10

Anyone???

thallo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thallo Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 1:18pm
post #3 of 10

To use this or any other impression mat, I find that it is best to roll out the fondant first onto a mat. Do not roll it too thin as that could cause it to stretch too much. Then place the mat on top of the fondant and press the mat into the fondant with a rolling pin. Don't roll the rolling pin - sort of drag it across the fondant while pressing on it. If you roll it, the fondant will move and distort the design. Once this is done, turn over the fondant between the two mats. Then remove the first mat and place the fondant over the cake. Now you remove the impression mat.

This always works for me. Just remember to be patient. I look forward to seeing photos of your beautiful cake.

manahigh Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 4:13pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks so much for your instructions, thallo. I think I will be practicing this over the weekend. Do you know if it would work to press in the design after the fondant is on the cake? Although I have experience decorating with fondant, I have only covered two cakes with it. Is it better to use cornstarch/powder sugar on the mats so it doesn't stick or shortening?

paula0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula0712 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 4:38pm
post #5 of 10

I just did this cake yesterday. I've used the impression mats before and the first time it stretched and I had to re roll it. My trick was that you don't roll your fondant too thin, and no I didn't coat my mat with sugar or cornstarch. I then laid it over the rolling pin loosely and then gently laid it on the cake. Don't smooth too much or you will stretch your pattern. I personally wouldn't try to do it while the fondant is on the cake. Hope this helps.

paula0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula0712 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 4:48pm
post #6 of 10

trying desperately to add my pic. ugh, I've tried this about 20 times and it just won't take my pic.
[img]Click to see my image online[/img]

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 4:51pm
post #7 of 10

Don't use the mat after putting the fondant on the cake. You can't press hard enough without damaging the cake to get the design imprinted nicely.

I roll my design and lift with the rolling pin and lay it on the cake. Your problem may be too thin fondant or way too thick causing it to pull as you put it on the cake.

thallo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thallo Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 5:01pm
post #8 of 10

As the other posters have said, it is better not to put anything on the impression mat. This is especially true of the Wilton mats. Some other brands work differently. And like the others, I have never gotten good results with using the mat on the cake after the fondant has been put on the cake.
Some cakers perfer rolling the fondant over the rolling pin, and if this works, then it is certainly best for them. As with any technique, whatever works best for you is the best method!!

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 7:29pm
post #9 of 10

Just my two cents but the Wilton impression mats are some of their best products.

manahigh Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 4:02am
post #10 of 10

Thanks everyone for your very helpful responses. I am most eager to try these techniques in the next few days. Hopefully, I will be able to post the picture of success next week.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%