I've Learned My Lesson - Sponge Cake Disaster! Vent

Baking By CandyCU Updated 11 Sep 2010 , 4:56am by CandyCU

CandyCU Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyCU Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 12:01am
post #1 of 4

Ok, I'm still a newbie (only been doing this for a little over a year). I'm really dissappointed with myself this morning - gonna brush myself off, clean out that freakin tin & start again... icon_cry.gif

I received an order from a lady for a 4" high sponge cake - I've made her a 2.5-3" torted sponge before - so here is me thinking "ok, so to save time I'll just double the batch and cook it all at once" - BIG mistake! icon_redface.gif

At first I thought, you beauty! It was rising gorgeously in the oven, it took longer to cook obviously, took it out and let it cool like I always do. Not long after, it started to sink, more and more and more - I mean it REALLY SUNK. I had a look and I had a completely hollow cake! Probably less than 2" high, caved in and the texture - I don't even want to go there - it was like chaux pastry, kinda stringy, almost like when you break open a crossiant! icon_confused.gif

Aaarrgh, so pissed, that'll teach me to try & cut corners. icon_mad.gif

Ok, sorry about the long vent - I'm off to bake 2 amazing 2" sponges and make this cake!!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks for reading - had to get this off my chest and hopefully help someone else in the process!

Cheers,

3 replies
Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 12:20am
post #2 of 4

We have been there - done that!!! I could tell you about baking bread when I was college!!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:57am
post #3 of 4

Sorry you found out the hard way that some recipes just don't bake up properly when doubled and/or put into one pan.............

I always make 2 layers (or more) for a cake over 2" tall, even though I have 3 and 4 inch tall pans. I just don't like the way the taller layers bake.

Better luck next time!
Rae

CandyCU Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyCU Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 4:56am
post #4 of 4

Thank you guys, I really appreciate your replies!

I've just pulled the 2nd one out of the oven, all good! I've definately learnt my lesson.

icon_smile.gif

Cheers!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%