Less Sweet Buttercream

Baking By lovecake2000 Updated 18 Jul 2013 , 10:29pm by BeesKnees578

lovecake2000 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 9:16pm
post #1 of 15

Hi, I am loking for a butter cream recepi, which very much less sweet than the wilton bc. I've tried adding cream, milk.... but yet to find the creamy slightly sweet bc. .... pls help icon_sad.gif

14 replies
KimmyKakes4Me Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 10:16pm
post #2 of 15

Quit making that horrid stuff now, it's for beginners and Wilton classes; try out a nice meringue icing. Much nicer and your customers will love you.

1234me Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 10:35pm
post #3 of 15

I am not sure what you are using but does it include butter? If so, use salted butter - it should take some of the sweetness away!

icer101 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 10:36pm
post #4 of 15

smbc, imbc, french meringue b/c and mock meringue is very good tasting and not as sweet as american b/c. there's lots of good american b/c recipes on this site. indydebi's recipe, sharon zambito's recipe, buttercream dream, etc. try all these that i have listed and see what you like best. hth

kansaslaura Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 10:39pm
post #5 of 15

Do you put any salt in your recipe? It's a must! Get some fine salt(popcorn salt). I use 3/4 tsp for 4# powdered sugar.

Echooo3 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 10:56pm
post #6 of 15

See, this is the stuff that confuses me. On says to use unsalted butter and one says to put salt in it.

KimmyKakes4Me Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 10:59pm
post #7 of 15

I never salt my buttercream, but I use unsalted butter.

JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 11:21pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmyKakes4Me

Quit making that horrid stuff now, it's for beginners and Wilton classes.

Only slightly insulting to the professionals on here who use - and whose customers love them for it - horrid traditional American buttercream.

KimmyKakes4Me Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 11:23pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCakes1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmyKakes4Me

Quit making that horrid stuff now, it's for beginners and Wilton classes.

Only slightly insulting to the professionals on here who use - and whose customers love them for it - horrid traditional American buttercream.

Well as long it wasn't completely insulting, I should be safe. thumbs_up.gif

kansaslaura Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 12:08am
post #10 of 15

If you're using unsalted butter, all the more reason to put salt in. The salt content in a 4 ounce stick of butter can range from 1/2 tsp to 3/4 tsp.

I use UNsalted butter then add the amount of salt I want. The reason so many recipes call for UNsalted butter is so you can control the amount of salt in your recipe.

HTH

julesh268 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 12:46am
post #11 of 15

I agree with adding the salt. I add it to the water so it disolves and can be evenly distributed.

Marianna46 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 1:13am
post #12 of 15

Thanks for the alternative buttercream recipe, tastyart. My daughters, who one way or another end up tasting almost all the cakes I make (even the ones I sell, because they often get invited to the parties where my cakes are served!), are always compaining because my buttercream is too sweet. I'm going to give this one a try!

lisa5573 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 2:53am
post #13 of 15

I made a Swiss Meringue Buttercream last weekend and it was more like a whipped icing. Less sweet and very smooth. It was a little 'butterygreasey', It was my first time making a meringue buttercream and it was pretty simple.

lovecake2000 Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 9:00pm
post #14 of 15

AThank you all , I've tried using salt and now loving it. :)

BeesKnees578 Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 10:29pm
post #15 of 15

I mix a double batch of heirloom icing with a single batch of my american buttercream.  It's quite delish and not so sweet.  I keep meaning to add a touch of salt, but keep forgetting.  I don't know that it needs it though. 

I love that it's not sweet (which is what I love about meringues), but I don't have to have my mixer on FOREVER while it's whipping and cooling the eggs.  This has no eggs at all.  The recipe I came up with almost fills my 600 pro KA mixer!  And I use all powdered sugar, instead of granulated, mixing about half the powdered sugar with the butter and (yikes, I know) crisco first before adding the remaining powdered sugar so you don't have a mushroom cloud of PS!  Then adding in the flour base and vanilla toward the end.

I can cook up as many batches of the flour base that I need the night before and refrig overnight.  Take out my butter the night before and in the AM I am ready to make tons of icing. 

Simplifies the process for me...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%