Decorate Then Stack Or Stack Then Decorate...which Do You Do

Decorating By gsbcakes Updated 11 Sep 2010 , 1:17am by catlharper

gsbcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gsbcakes Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 3

I think for me it just depends on the design of the cake but tonight i have a 4 Tier wedding cake in buttercream with a scroll design and it may be easier to ensure the design matches all the way around to stack first. Just wondered how everyone else does it out there.

Also wht is the largest # of tiers you transport stacked?

2 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 1:03am
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsbcakes

...easier to ensure the design matches all the way around to stack first. Also wht is the largest # of tiers you transport stacked?

Agree... I do what you do--stack first.

The limit of stacked tiers for transport should be what you're able to lift (besides the obvious limit of height in delivery vehicle).

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 1:17am
post #3 of 3

It really depends on the cake. There are a couple of reasons I would decorate after stacking. The cake I'm working on is one of those...it requires me to place the border trim on before I can place the design on and the border touches the tier below. So I have to have them stacked in order to do that. Also, if the design is a continuous one then it needs to be stacked first for me.

However, if one tier is not connected to the other or the design does not require me to add trim first then I will do each cake seperately then stack, add trim and then be done. The last cake I did (which I can't share on here yet) was decorated before then stacked.

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%