What Kind Of Stand Mixers Do You Use?

Decorating By Gerle Updated 13 Sep 2010 , 12:07am by cmeventcoordinator

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 38

I know this may seem like an odd question, but my husband is talking about getting me a new stand mixer. The one I currently have is a KitchenAid ProLine, 5 qt bowl. You have to move the bowl up and down to the beater. We are trying to decide to stay with KitchenAid but with a 7 qt bowl or go with a Viking with a 7 qt bowl. I've been happy with the Kitchenaid except for the fact that I can't lift the head of the mixer out of the way to put ingredients in - I always have to lower the bowl. My current mixer is about 20-25 years old. I've never had a Viking before, so don't know how good it is or isn't. I was hoping that since most everyone on this site has had to use a mixer, that maybe you could give me some info to help make the decision easier for me. What type have you used and are you happy with it? Any suggestions? Thanks for your input.

37 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 8:17pm
post #2 of 38

I have two KA Artisans and an old bowl-lift model. One of the Artisans works well. I bought it new and have taken great care of it. The other one, which I bought on craigslist because it matched my new kitchen, has a little oil leak and sounds kind of unhappy sometimes. The old bowl-lift seems like it will keep on going forever and ever...it's made better than the newer ones.

The Artisan ones have the tilt head and it's not that convenient either...you've got to unlock it and tip it up to add ingredients...but sometimes they come with a pouring shield and that helps a lot.

stacey71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacey71 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 10:02pm
post #3 of 38

I am also interested in the replies here as Im going to ask for a stand mixer for Christmas. I thought I would definitely go with the KA but maybe I will look at the Viking now too.

HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 10:16pm
post #4 of 38

I have 2 KA's. 4 1/2 qt and 6 qt. One is a tilt and the other a lift, I LOVE them both!!! icon_biggrin.gif Started out with the smaller one, and upgraded to the larger one. I still use both depending on what I am making. I thought I would sell the smaller one, but found I can't live without it! thumbs_up.gif

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 10:43pm
post #5 of 38

Gerle, If you've got a 20-25 yr old KA, you'll never find another one like it at a store. I bought my last KA on eBay just to get an older (Hobart) model. I have it (a 5QT lift-bowl model) and a Bosch. Love 'em both.

Gerle Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 11:26pm
post #6 of 38

So has anyone here ever used a Viking? I don't know much about them and have been happy with my KA, but would like one with a larger bowl capacity. My husband saw a Viking in a cake supply store and he was told they are good mixers. So he's trying to decide between the 2. I know they don't make appliances like they use to and I've never had a problem with my KA. We even have some of the attachments for it for other functions (grinding meat for one) and I'm leaning more in that direction. I appreciate all of your input.

Gerle Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 11:28pm
post #7 of 38

Kansaslaura, you said you also have a Bosch? How is that one? Haven't heard of it much, but I haven't been looking for a new mixer in a while, either!

angelwings1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelwings1 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 11:54pm
post #8 of 38

You say you've been happy with your KitchenAid? I say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"! lol I've had a KitchenAid for years, and LOVE it. My first one was the basic one, with the tilt head. My sister recently surpised me with an upgrade. Pro Series, maybe? Too lazy to go look. lol This one has the bowl lift and came with the pouring shield. I passed my old one over to my son. They last forever! I've never used a Viking or Bosch, so can't offer help there. I'm a very loyal KA user.

angelwings1 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 11:55pm
post #9 of 38

Oops! Sorry, she surprised me, not surpised....

Texas_Rose Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 12:00am
post #10 of 38

I was just looking up the Viking mixers...that's going to be my next one...few years from now icon_razz.gif

It says it's got all metal gears, which I don't think the KA's do anymore.

angelwings1 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 12:03am
post #11 of 38

I'm sure they still do have all metal gears. Whenever the KA lady is on QVC, she still always says that.

Texas_Rose Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 12:15am
post #12 of 38

This is the plastic part that they talk about having to replace http://appliancehelp.com/Catalog_Detail.aspx?Inventory=1491159&SourceCode=1&imgID=2

The KA Professional models apparently have all metal, but not all of the others do.

kansaslaura Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 12:19am
post #13 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerle

Kansaslaura, you said you also have a Bosch? How is that one? Haven't heard of it much, but I haven't been looking for a new mixer in a while, either!

My Bosch is a BEAST!! I bake a lot of bread too and it's what I use for my bread. It's also awesome for buttercream because it is belt driven from the bottom and the bowl is completly covered. No flying powdered sugar!!!!!!!!

NO. FLYING. POWDERED. SUGAR.

Did I mention.. no flying powdered sugar?? icon_lol.gif

The only problem I have had with my Bosch is the blender attachment. They changed the gear that the jar sits on to plastic and it broke when I crushed ice. They replaced it, no charge.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 12:45am
post #14 of 38

KA's have problems with the gears, except for the professional ones. Plastic, it's all plastic. An engineer friend of mine opened one up. He didn't understand why his wife was always breaking them. Only the very old Kitchen Aids were meant to last forever. They sold the company and after that it was not the same anymore.

Kansaslaura... I wish I had a Bosch. You're lucky.

Since I couldn't get a Bosch, I got what I think it's the very best after that. A Cuisinart 7 qt, 1,000 watts motor with a timer. It's a beauty. I love that timer.

I made sure I did my research. My other option was the Viking.

jukesbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jukesbox Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 12:49am
post #15 of 38

I started with a KA 4.5 qt. Artisan -- still have it and use it a lot. Then, the more I baked, I thought I needed a bigger mixer so I got a KA Pro 600 (qt.) The thing never worked quite like I expected it to. You'd think it would be a workhorse. The first time I mixed a batch of Sugarshack's buttercream, it died on me -- I was in the middle of a wedding cake! Called KA and they said not to run it on that high of a speed (6) for a long time. Well, I was disappointed. I had only had it a couple months. I still continued to use it until (about 2 years) I was mixing up cookie dough and it started skipping gears. My husband ordered me a Viking 7 qt. and my dad ended up replacing the gears in the KA and fixed it. From the looks of the gears (all the parts were metal) he didn't think the thing looked like it ever ran like it was supposed to.

Well, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Viking. I sold my 6 qt. KA. I think KA is a good brand and I probably just got a lemon. My 4.5 qt is still going strong and I run it on 6 for a long time.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 1:00am
post #16 of 38

Oh, did I say that I found a page with pages and pages of complaints about the KAs? I lost track of how many I read, but that made me decide on something else.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/kitchenaid_mixers.html

The list is still being updated with new problems. It got me really scared.

Kansaslaura, my boyfriend did get me a Bosch stove. I love that one too.

Marla84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marla84 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 1:39am
post #17 of 38

My boyfriend bought me the Breville mixer for my birthday this year. I haven't had it long, but so far I love it! It is only a 5 quart (sorry, Gerle, I know you are looking for something larger) but it is 550 watts. It has a timer that counts up or down and also includes a scraper/beater blade. It uses a dial to change speeds, rather than the lever that the KitchenAids have - maybe it is just me but I always had issues with moving that lever and not accidentally jerking it up to a higher speed. The real reason I got the Breville is a little silly though - my boyfriend liked that it matched the Breville toaster oven he is planning to buy, and since I am also a little nutty about wanting everything to match, his logic made perfect sense. icon_smile.gif

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 1:58am
post #18 of 38

I have 2 Kitchen Aids, my first is the artisan with the tile head and she is my old faithful.

I also have the KA Pro 5 qt and it has the crank handle to lower and lift the bowl

Both have never failed me and honestly tilt vs. lift , both have draw backs as well as benefits.

The pour shield does help but I find it get in my way most times. Took me a while to get used to the lift but love my KA ladies ( yes I'v named them both Lucille and Daisy).

Cant comment on the viking mixer have never used one... but for me it's KA all the way!

sechrestloans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sechrestloans Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 2:02am
post #19 of 38

got the 6 quart KA and cant imagine my life without it! icon_biggrin.gif

Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 2:11am
post #20 of 38

Originally bought a 5 qt KA and loved it until I got a little more serious into cakes. Then I found it wasn't big enough. Still have the 5 qt but my go to mixer is the 6 qt. KA. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT and would highly recommend it!

Jaime3679 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaime3679 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 2:20am
post #21 of 38

We have 2 - 5qt KA mixers and they have worked great, but we are making so many cakes we really wanted something bigger. A few weeks ago I got an email from a customer saying her mother had a very old 30qt stand mixer that used to be used in a school cafeteria and she wanted to sell it. She was only asking 100.00 and it works GREAT! It did however, look like it just came off of the titanic so I gave it a fun makeover! I love old stuff and things today are not built the way they used to be!

Jaime3679 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 2:25am
post #22 of 38
kansaslaura Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 2:28am
post #23 of 38

I used to have one like that at my first restaurant. It however, was green and I called it The Beast! LOVE the make-over! Did you have an auto shop do that?

Jaime3679 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 2:40am
post #24 of 38

Thanks! We named ours Big Bertha! LOL

I painted her myself.

Gerle Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:17am
post #25 of 38

Well, now I'm not sure what to do. My current KA is still working fine and it is old. But after getting on a site that was posted on this board and reading all the bad things everyone is saying about KA, I don't know if I want to purchase a currently manufactured one. Also found a few bad reviews about Viking, so maybe I'll look at the Bosch and see what's said about it. I really don't want to get into a major problem with a new mixer. I use mine too often to have those kinds of problems!! Especially now that I'm getting into cake decorating!!! So...on to more research!

Arriva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Arriva Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:22am
post #26 of 38

I bought a Wolfgang Puck at Sam's a few years ago before I started cake decorating. I bought a Cuisinart at year or two ago and I LOVE IT. I hardly ever use my WP anymore. I use Sugarshack's recipe, and the Cuisinart has a timer so I can just let it run. I was too impatient to order and wait on the 7 qt, so I bought the 5 1/2. I still want to get the 7 qt some day.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:26am
post #27 of 38

The old KAs are great. The new ones, not so much. I have one old one, 2 new ones and a 20qt Hobart. Love the Hobart! I burned out 3 Pro KAs in 4 months. Got to know the UPS guy quite well as he kept delivering replacement mixers. After the 3rd one died, I asked for my $ back and KA sent it. Then I got two Kenwoods. They're good, but LOUD.

But then a few years later and Kohl's had a huge sale, so I bought two more KAs. I'll never learn.

kansaslaura Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:36am
post #28 of 38

Leah!! Get thyself to eBay and purchase and old KA. One made by Hobart!!

Arriva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Arriva Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:40am
post #29 of 38

I bought a Wolfgang Puck at Sam's a few years ago before I started cake decorating. I bought a Cuisinart at year or two ago and I LOVE IT. I hardly ever use my WP anymore. I use Sugarshack's recipe, and the Cuisinart has a timer so I can just let it run. I was too impatient to order and wait on the 7 qt, so I bought the 5 1/2. I still want to get the 7 qt some day.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:45am
post #30 of 38

kansas, WHERE?

There are some 5 qt Hobarts, but the cheapest is $650. Too many pages of KAs to plow thru.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%