My 1St Reschedule, Can This All Be Frozen?

Decorating By jenny311 Updated 10 Sep 2010 , 9:21pm by QueenOfSweets

jenny311 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 5

I was up late last night preparing cakes, fillings and buttercream for 2 different orders I have for this Saturday. The cake that is being rescheduled for the 18th now is a two tier vanilla cake with the Costco recipe vanilla mousse and fresh sugared strawberries. I know the cakes can be frozen no problem, but I want to make sure that the mousse and sugared sliced strawberries can be frozen too. Any advice would ease my mind. Also, once it comes time to start working on the cake again, how do I go about defrosting everything?

4 replies
peg818 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 5

I don't know anything about the mousse you are using. You might want to try and freeze that and have the extra ingredients on hand to make more if you need to.

The strawberries, when frozen strawberries get mushy and turn to a different consistency. So that i'm afraid you won't be able to hold.

QueenOfSweets Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 7:17pm
post #3 of 5

Is this cake for a paying client or for a family member/friend? If it is for a paying client, then my question is - why are you worrying about freezing and defrosting this? I have all clients sign a contract that has a clause about rescheduling that protects me in situations like this. If a client orders a cake and then reschedules this close to the event, it's their problem. All orders are paid in full at least 3 weeks prior to the event. All deposits and payments are non-refundable. If I had a client that rescheduled and I'd already done everything you had, they'd be getting the cake on the original date and figuring out how to hold it until the new date. I hope this doesn't come across snarky, because I truly don't mean it that way. icon_smile.gif But you have to protect yourself and a contract does that - business is business!

Now on the other hand, if this is for a non-paying family member or friend (which I rarely do), then that's a different story. I haven't had very good luck with freezing mousse fillings, and your strawberries will turn to mush - freezing is not good for them!

Best of luck to you!

jenny311 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 8:23pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for your responses. This is for a friends daughter's Birthday, so it's not technically strictly business. My husband has come up with the solution to have strawberry shortcake for dessert tonight, lol. When life hands you a lemon! Atleast the cakes will be ok, and that was the most work.

QueenOfSweets Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 9:21pm
post #5 of 5

I think your husband has a fantastic solution!! Who doesn't love an extra strawberry shortcake night! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%