Stupid Mistake...will This Ruin The Cake??

Baking By ZoesMum Updated 11 Sep 2010 , 4:12am by scp1127

ZoesMum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZoesMum Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 5:50pm
post #1 of 8

ARGH!!! I'm so short on sleep right now that I forgot that I ran out of eggs last night, and have already mixed all the wet ingredients into a box cake mix. Will it ruin it if I leave the dry and wet ingredients sit for about 45 min while I go get eggs??

7 replies
michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 6:23pm
post #2 of 8

Just cover it with plastic wrap, I"m thinking it should be okay!! Good luck!

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 8

I think that it will be ok. I did the same thing a couple of months ago and it sat for almost 2 hours before I could get back to it.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 8

I might be wrong, but I read that you should put it in the refrigerator so that the action of the leavening (baking powder) doesn't start ahead of time and then it won't rise in the oven.

I think I read it in a book from Shirley Corriher. I do that with cupcakes. Put the batter in the refrigerator while the first set of cupcakes bake.

ZoesMum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZoesMum Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 6:44pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks all...it's in the oven now after having been sitting out for about 1/2 hr, so I'm hoping it will be OK! Seems to be rising alright. Now I will know what to do for when this happens again!!!

TrixieTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrixieTreats Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 6:44pm
post #6 of 8

I think it will be fine left on the counter, covered. I have let batter sit while waiting for the oven with cupcake batches, or even full cakes and they bake unaffected. Sometimes up to an hour even... You are good, go get those eggs icon_surprised.gif)

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 7:15pm
post #7 of 8

Yeah, i'm pretty sure it will be fine.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 4:12am
post #8 of 8

I read an article about the technology in box mixes. They design them to withstand all kinds of mistakes and still come out ok. They are pretty durable!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%