soupercb Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 19

What do you use to paint on a cake?

Thanks so much!

18 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 4:28pm
post #2 of 19

I use my airbrush color. Or you can thin down your gel colors with vodka.

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

I use my airbrush color. Or you can thin down your gel colors with vodka.

Same here. It's tons of fun.

soupercb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soupercb Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 19

Sadly, I don't have an airbrush. I will try the thinned down gel colors.

Thanks so much

lynndy-lou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynndy-lou Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 8:33pm
post #5 of 19

You can mix powdered colours with vodka to

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 9:41pm
post #6 of 19

I don't have an airbursh either. I feel your pain. I use the vodka and gel colors all the time.

ChandelierCakeChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChandelierCakeChick Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 9:59pm
post #7 of 19

Can you use anything besides vodka? would clear vanilla work?

tastyart Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 10:07pm
post #8 of 19

Yes, the clear vanilla will work. It takes a little longer to dry than the vodka but I've used it before. You can also use lemon extract. If you don't mind the lemon flavor on your cake, it has a little higher alcohol content than the vanilla.

jleigh982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jleigh982 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 10:07pm
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChandelierCakeChick

Can you use anything besides vodka? would clear vanilla work?

I do it all the time and I ALWAYS use clear vanilla abstract and gel or powder colors or lusterdust if you want a "shimmery color" DO NOT I repeat DO NOT thin color out with water!!! I learned the hard way that if you use water, when you go to "paint" it on your cake it will break down your fondant and it will become soft and sometimes "drag" off the cake. and make sure to give it plenty of time to dry before handling it. hope this helps.

ChandelierCakeChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChandelierCakeChick Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 10:16pm
post #10 of 19

awesome! thanks!

MizRed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MizRed Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 10:37pm
post #11 of 19

Is there any aftertaste when you use vodka or clear vanilla extract?

tastyart Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 2:36am
post #12 of 19

definately not when you use the vodka. The vanilla can leave a little flavor behind but there is usually vanilla flavoring in the frosting too.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 11:11pm
post #13 of 19

You don't have to have an airbrush machine to have the colors. They are sold separately. If you like to paint on cakes, buy a few colors in the small size, if they sell them.

sarahmpetasan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahmpetasan Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 3:02pm
post #14 of 19

Ill be painting on a cake this week, for my first time and appreciate all the help everyones already given in this thread! I do have two questions:
What consistency should I be looking for when adding the extract to the gel color or luster dust? Should it be a thin liquid like water or just a bit thinner than the consistency of the gel color?
Also, when doing a childs cake, Im assuming extracts are always the way to go vs. the vodka? Or does so much of the vodka evaporate that it doesnt matter?
Thanks everyone!

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 3:23pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahmpetasan

Ill be painting on a cake this week, for my first time and appreciate all the help everyones already given in this thread! I do have two questions:
What consistency should I be looking for when adding the extract to the gel color or luster dust? Should it be a thin liquid like water or just a bit thinner than the consistency of the gel color?
Also, when doing a childs cake, Im assuming extracts are always the way to go vs. the vodka? Or does so much of the vodka evaporate that it doesnt matter?
Thanks everyone!

The vodka will evaporate. If you still feel funny about using vodka on a kid's cake, use the extracts, as previously mentioned, and you'll be just fine. As for the consistency, you don't want to make the mixture too thin, or it will run. Just add a little bit at a time, mix it, and see if it's workable. If not, add a little bit more. Take a little bit on your brush and try it out (on a paper plate or something other than you cake) to test it out first. Good luck!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 3:32pm
post #16 of 19

Are you painting on buttercream or fondant? If you're painting on buttercream that's crusted...just make sure it's good and solid so refrigerate first. I did that for a leopard print cake and it works great. I use gel colors like water colors...that is use your extract or vodka like water and mix your 'paint' with them to get the right consistency for the colors you want. It's really a lot of fun. I practiced by spreading some buttercream out on a paper plate and after it crusted well I practiced on that to get the feel and the look I wanted. Have fun!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 3:34pm
post #17 of 19

There is alcohol in your vanilla, so you are still using alcohol on the cake. The point of using something like vodka or everclear is that because it is high in alcohol content it will evaporate off fast.

Pour a little bit of vodka in a bowl and walk away for an hour and see what is left when you come back. Everclear always makes me laugh because I end up adding more of it to the dusts when I am working with them, because it will evaporate off before I get done sometimes.

I don't use the gels for painting (I use airbrush colors) but when I do dusts it depends on the look I am going for. Too thick and it clumps up more. Too thin and you will have streaks or will have to go back over it.

Saffire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Saffire Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 7:23pm
post #18 of 19

experiment on whatever you wish to paint first... i use paintbrushes (i have a few in various sizes/thickness/styles dedicated to food 'paint') and use wilton colors with vodka... i thin the colors down to what i'm looking for... more vodka means less color, more watercolor look... the vodka evaporates and the colors dry pretty quick though the thicker the 'paint' the longer they'll take to dry and you'll want to be careful if you put plastic wrap on it, sometimes it sticks in globby parts. you can mix colors, intensities of colors and with some practice have a lot of creative fun. i've painted dried gumpaste and fondant... if i want my brushstrokes to have some glimmer, i'll put some luster dust in one of my paint palette dimples and the color/vodka next to it and use an empty to mix as i need the color with the dust... too much moisture and the dust gets too transparent... too much dust and it gets clumpy...

MBoyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBoyd Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 10:36pm
post #19 of 19

What Texas said...

Just to add... most extracts contain alcohol. That's why they work for painting. I've also used almond (smells great!) and lemon extracts. Not sure about vanilla - if its not the clear kind, I assume it would "muddy" your color.
I've been told that of the extracts lemon has the highest alcohol content. However, if you leave your bottles open long enough, the alcohol will evaporate out and you'll still be left with a liquid, but trying to paint with it will be very frustrating.

Personally I just cut to the chase and, I use Everclear or vodka. especially when painting with lusters. I will mix it to the consistency of salad dressing. It needs to be thick enough to paint with, and not too thin. I've found that if you try to do a second coat, you can have problems with streaking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%