Question About Coffee Liqueur

Decorating By Erin3085 Updated 10 Sep 2010 , 7:06pm by Franluvsfrosting

Erin3085 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 6

When it comes up in a cake filling...what exactly is it? I don't drink and have never used it is it something you can buy in the grocery store, around the cooking supplies? Or do you go to a liqour store for it? Is it a cooking alcohol or a drinking alcohol? I feel dumb asking. icon_wink.gif

5 replies
Erin3085 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 3:48pm
post #2 of 6

And I accidentally posted this in the wrong forum...sorry! icon_redface.gif

TexasSugar Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 6

Starbucks makes a coffee liqueur, there is also one called Kalua.

I'm in a dry county so it is something I have to go to the Liquer store for, it's for drinking and baking. icon_wink.gif If you don't have any or don't want to use it, you could just use some strong coffee in place of it.

Erin3085 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 4:25pm
post #4 of 6

Great, thanks! I thought about the coffee instead, but I really had no idea if the kind mentioned in recipes was the same kind you drink, or a specific cooking ingredient I had yet to be exposed to. Sheltered, much? icon_razz.gif

TexasSugar Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 6

Coffee, won't have the alcohol kick behind it, but I think it could work.

Franluvsfrosting Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 7:06pm
post #6 of 6

I use Kahlua flavored coffee syrups, typically DaVinci's brand as it's my favorite. Then I get the flavor but no alcohol to worry about. In fact, I'm doing a mocha wedding cake this weekend that I've used the Kahlua flavoring in and the scrap cake we tested was super yummy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%