Life Like Water And Palm Trees

Decorating By Ritakk Updated 10 Sep 2010 , 2:55pm by Occther

Ritakk Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 2:37pm
post #1 of 2

I am about to make my first Dora Cake and am wanting to incorporate the life like water effect. I bought the piping gel, but was wondering... I came across another scratch recipe that is suppose to work the same way as piping gel, has anyone tried the homemade recipe? If so I'd like your imput as to which is more life like or which you prefer?

Also since this cake has to be delivered Sunday (short notice icon_sad.gif) Will I have enough time to make fondant leaves for my palm trees? Is there another medium that would hold up quickly? I ran across a you tube video using RI for the leaves...anyone try this and should I make extras with the RI in case of breakage? Thanks all you CC'ers!

1 reply
Occther Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 2:55pm
post #2 of 2

I just made palm trees for a Hawaiian theme wedding cake a few weeks ago. I mixed some tylose in green fondant, rolled out on my cel board, inserted wires, cut with a large skinny leaf shape (lily leaf - I think), veined them on a leaf veiner, then snipped the leaves with scissors. Let them dry on crumpled foil to give them some movement. Once dried, I used floral tape to attach them together. Then I used chocolate fondant for the trunk and used a tool to make V marks in the trunk. RI for the leaves could be rather brittle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%