Edible Fruit Arrangements

Lounge By rhopar33 Updated 13 Sep 2010 , 7:36pm by michellenj

rhopar33 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 1:01pm
post #1 of 6

I've been doing cakes for years and for my 9 year old's birthday this past weekend I decided to try my hand at an edible arrangement because my budget won't allow me to buy one right now.

Overall it come out well but there are a few quirks I'd like to get resolved. I did an all-starwberry bouquet. Does anyone know what I can use or dip the strawberries in to keep them from dripping juice when refrigerated?

Also, I used Wiltons melting chips which did not get as smooth as I hoped. Is there a better product out there or should I be melting the choc longer?

Any help ois greatly appreciated.

5 replies
Redsoxbaker Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 1:26pm
post #2 of 6

I find when I do strawberries they have to be at room temperature. When strawberries are cold there will always be issues with dripping. I usually don't dip until the day I use them. I use the dipping chocolate from AC Moore's. I do mine in the microwave on defrost. I melt for 1 min and 30 sec's stir and another 1 min and 30 sec's. I let it sit covered with a paper towel for a few minutes and it usually keeps melting a bit more. Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

scp1127 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 5:31pm
post #3 of 6

Great information redsoxbaker!

adonisthegreek1 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 2:11am
post #4 of 6

Don't hull your strawberries. Push the skewer through the green part, but do not pierce the opposite side. I make fruit arrangements and fruit kabobs for my kids all the time and have never had a problem with the fruit weeping.

adonisthegreek1 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 2:13am
post #5 of 6

I forgot to add that if you are using Wilton chocolate you will need to add vegetable oil for the right consistency. I prefer Ghirardelli chocolate bars. They melt to the perfect consistency for fondues and dipping...no oil needed.

michellenj Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 7:36pm
post #6 of 6

I use the Ghirardelli dipping bars, too. They sell them at Sam's. Dip them the day of and don't refrigerate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%