Piping On Crusting Buttercream

Decorating By dirtycakes Updated 10 Sep 2010 , 5:44pm by sewsweet2

dirtycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dirtycakes Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 9:56am
post #1 of 5

Hello and thank you for reading this. My first post, here it goes-

I'm making a stacked 4 tiered wedding cake using Sharon Zambito's buttercream recipe. The cake I am making has piped scroll work along the front of the cake, starting out narrow at the top tier and ending pretty wide at the base... a sort of cascading look. Here's the question- what can I use to pipe with that with "stick" onto the vertical surface of the crusted buttercream? The scrollwork is dark brown, so normally I would use chocolate buttercream, but my normal medium is Italian buttercream so this is kinda new to me.

Any help would be appreciated icon_smile.gif

Thanks!

4 replies
sewsweet2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsweet2 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 1:09pm
post #2 of 5

I use a crusting buttercream all the time. I just use my crusting buttercream to pipe on the sides of my cakes. I would use your chocolate buttercream to pipe.

To see wedding cakes with buttercream piped on crusting buttercream check out my cakes at: http://community.webshots.com/user/sewsweet2

dirtycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dirtycakes Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 3:08pm
post #3 of 5

ok great, thanks for the response. i guess my main concern is that since the buttercream is "crusted" no piping wpuld actually stick to it's surface! your cake labeled "Argo-Dunlap," the swirls on the main cake and the two satellite cakes are crusted buttercream piped onto crusted buttercream? That's fantastic. Saves me worry. Thanks again.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 3:45pm
post #4 of 5

Icing will stick to it. You just may have to have your tip close to it.

sewsweet2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsweet2 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 5:44pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtycakes

ok great, thanks for the response. i guess my main concern is that since the buttercream is "crusted" no piping wpuld actually stick to it's surface! your cake labeled "Argo-Dunlap," the swirls on the main cake and the two satellite cakes are crusted buttercream piped onto crusted buttercream? That's fantastic. Saves me worry. Thanks again.

All my cakes are buttercream piped on buttercream. The only time I pipe with royal might be when I do a decorated cookie, and even then, it's not always royal.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%