Help... Black Mmf???

Decorating By jamielu23 Updated 10 Sep 2010 , 3:55pm by leily

jamielu23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamielu23 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 7:16am
post #1 of 8

I am using MMF for the first time and can't seem to get black but just a very dark purple. I have used almost an entire bottle of wilton gelcolor. How do I get black?

7 replies
texascakemomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texascakemomma Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 8:03am
post #2 of 8

It will turn black easily if you make chocolate MMF. Substitute cocoa powder for some of your powdered sugar.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 9:20am
post #3 of 8

You also need to steer clear of wilton black, its rubbish. You need americolor.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 3:15pm
post #4 of 8

I try to use chocolate fondant when I need black. Much easier to color. And I agree that Americolor is better than Wilton.

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 8

When ever I deal with black fondant I try to 1. airbrush if possible, 2. paint on the black color, or 3. buy it all ready made. Black is a nightmare mess IMO. I have a friend that uses the powdered colors to make black and it looks really good. She buys them online but I'm not really sure where. She did make a comment once that a medium batch of fondant cost her about $2-$3.00 for the color.

jamielu23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamielu23 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 3:47pm
post #6 of 8

When I got up this morning my MMF now seems to be black. It must have gotten darker overnight. I will have to remember your tips for next time. Thanks everyone!

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 3:52pm
post #7 of 8

I recently made black MMF and was soooo nervous b/c I have heard what a nightmare it is.

1. I use Americolors virtually exclusively, actually exclusively for deep colors.
2. I put the color in the melted marshmallows (after they come out of the microwave, during the stir - two healthy squirts.

Worked like a charm, a deep black with almost no effort - just a bit of extra PS to make up for the added liquid.

Can you let what you have sit for at least a couple of hours? Sometimes the wilton colors "right" themselves with time.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 3:55pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herekittykitty

1. I use Americolors virtually exclusively, actually exclusively for deep colors.
2. I put the color in the melted marshmallows (after they come out of the microwave, during the stir - two healthy squirts.

This is the only way i make dark colors with MMF

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%