First Cake Attempt In 15 Years & Airbrush

Decorating By MrsTrouper Updated 10 Sep 2010 , 10:37pm by HobbyCaker

MrsTrouper Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 5:53am
post #1 of 6

Hello all,
I could use any and all tips anyone can help with. I'm attempting my first cake in about 15 years. I took basic cake decorating classes as a teen but never stuck with it.
Yesterday I agreed to make my second cousins first birthday cake. This is the design I'm going off of http://www.decopac.com/catImages/XL/12817_xl.jpg I'm going to need to buy an airbrush. I've never used one before. Any brand recs? Technique tips and suggestions?
I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions in the future, but I'll start with this and spend a few hours reading through the forum.
TIA!

5 replies
Malakin Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 5:47pm
post #2 of 6

Here is a link to the one my daughter bought me two years ago and I'm still not out of the large bottles or americolor. Not too expensive and has everything already included to get you started. I love it.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=ABD+KIT-CAKE-20

Also, www.howtoairbrush.com doesn't really go into cake decorating but has a ton of information and the principles are the same on how to use the airbrush machine. We just use different paints and different cleaning solutions.
www.Fondantsource.com makes airbrush cleaning solution.
www.Youtube.com also has a bunch of videos on how to airbrush also. If you have any questions, just PM me. Hope this helps.

peg818 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 7:01pm
post #3 of 6

I think you could do that cake without an air brush. All you have to do is ice the sides of the cake in blue and it would be a little flatter but i don't think anyone would really notice.

You could also, buy the spray cans of color. Since you don't do many cakes, i would think twice before investing in an airbrush JMHO

leily Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 7:51pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by peg818

I think you could do that cake without an air brush. All you have to do is ice the sides of the cake in blue and it would be a little flatter but i don't think anyone would really notice.

You could also, buy the spray cans of color. Since you don't do many cakes, i would think twice before investing in an airbrush JMHO

I was thinking the same thing. If you don't plan on doing this a lot still (expecially since it's been 15 years since the last one) you may want to reconsider investing in the airbrush, it's a fairly large purchase. There are only two colors airbrushed on there anyways. (well probably 3 with the green, but that could easily be done with coloring your icing too.)

I would just color my icing blue as the person above mentioned, or buy the spray cans of color from wilton. Since they aren't dark colors you wouln't have a problem with them.

As for the "stone" on the walkway I would just use americolor gel and paint it on with a paint brush instead of the airbrush also.

MrsTrouper Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 10:15pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you all for your replies. I was looking at getting this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002QRWWH4/?tag=cakecentral-20

I had also thought maybe I should just lightly color the icing and use the Wilton's canned sprays over that to get the same look. I did play with the canned spray last night, but not sure what I think of it yet. Though I think the blue and green in the spray is far too dark.

I'm trying to figure out if I will do this more. I have to make another big cake for Halloween which I could use the airbrush for also and who knows from there. I just wanted to make it look the best I can.

Do many people here use airbrushes?

HobbyCaker Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 10:37pm
post #6 of 6

I have that same Airbrush. So far it has been great for a beginner like me. I had questions and TCB Global was very good about answering them for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%