Cake Mix Users: Help! What Do You Do With A Very Large Cake?

Baking By sjholderman Updated 10 Sep 2010 , 5:04pm by divinecc

sjholderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjholderman Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 5:04am
post #1 of 7

I recently switched to mixes and have run into a bit of an issue. I am making a topsy turvy cake and the bottom layer is a 16 in chocolate square. The first time round, I added sour cream & a pudding packet per box & my cake collapsed to about 1 in after rising nicely. I don't have time to experiment at this point so I need your advice!
I'm thinking of adding dream whip to help it rise, maybe an extra egg so it doesn't get weak? TIA! [/i]

6 replies
doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 5:18am
post #2 of 7

Did you use a flower nail in your cake? I don't bake anything over 12" without a nail in the center. I also use mixes and also add sour cream and pudding. Never have a problem with the cake collapsing in the center. Hope that helps!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 5:28am
post #3 of 7

I found my chocolate cake did not do well with pudding or extenders. Made it Duffy and dense. I just follow the package directions and I use DH devils food and it's perfect every time. I have bno idea why choc mixes react differently. Good luck.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 5:32am
post #4 of 7

did you JUST add a pudding pack and sour cream...I think that's too much moisture. I always just add an extra egg and a pudding pack...don't ever have that problem. Also, I do suggest using an inverted flower nail for that large of a cake...actually, you could even use 2 or 3. Grease and flower them like you would your pan and put the flat side in the bottom of the pan. HTH

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 5:38am
post #5 of 7

when I have a large cake, I bake two boxes at a time. I just have 1-2 in layers. I make 3, and then I dont have to tort. I just fill and trim. I hate messing with big layers, this way I just slide them on each other. I freeze them this way as well. When I double mixes, I add 1 pudding mix but still 2 c. sour cream. 2 c. liquid, 8 eggs, 2/3 c oil.

sjholderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjholderman Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 4:44pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks everyone! I did I think 3 boxes and used 2 flower nails. I'm torn between just following the box & doing the "dream cake" on the back of the dream whip box. I think I'll try the dream cake on a smaller scale & if it looks good do the 16in ones...
thanks again!

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 5:04pm
post #7 of 7

I also think your problem was too much moisture, pudding and sour cream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%