How Do I Get A Copright On My Cake Sketches?

Decorating By beautifulcakes2007 Updated 17 Sep 2010 , 7:01pm by beautifulcakes2007

beautifulcakes2007 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 4:03am
post #1 of 14

Just wanted to know how can I get a copyright for Cake sketches that I made, and dont want anyone to ue them at this moment, at least not until I make them

13 replies
catlharper Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 4:54am
post #2 of 14

Are you talking about a "watermark" on photos of sketches or the actual paper sketches? I guess either way is the same thing. I just use my "paint" program and the text maker and print my company name across the image. If you are talking about walking around showing your sketches...just sign them...automatically copyrights them.

Cat

wildflower_girl Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 5:08am
post #3 of 14

Check out the this website.

http://www.copyright.gov/

HTH

redpanda Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 5:40am
post #4 of 14

Are you talking about sketches that you provide to a potential client, that you don't want them taking to someone else to make the cake for less? Otherwise, I am not sure how anyone would be able to see/use your sketches before you make the cake. If this is what you are talking about, you should probably not give original sketches, but instead scan them into a computer and put a copyright notice on them. (I would be tempted to have something like a watermark across the sketch itself, to keep the client from just cutting out the sketch.

it won't prevent another baker from using it, but it would at least make it clear to them that they are "poaching". The hard part would be actually finding out that this has happened.

Jeffiner5825 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 5:44am
post #5 of 14

This may be a silly question. What are the rules to making a cake just like or using ideas from one picture on CC. I have used several ideas and didn't think of them being copyrighted. I don't make my cakes for profit, just for my kids, family and friends nor ever claimed the idea as my own. In fact I bragg about how great CC is for ideas. But I would love to have my own cake business someday.

costumeczar Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 5:21pm
post #6 of 14

You can get the sketch itself copyrighted, which means that nobody would be able to use that particular drawing for anything, like an illustration in a book or something. That doesn't mean that nobody can use the design of the cake. Unless you have something totally unusual that nobody's ever seen on a cake before it's unlikely that you'd be able to make the argument that you invented something new anyway.

The best way to not have people use your design would be to keep it in a box locked away somewhere until you're ready to use it. That way nobody could see the sketch and steal the idea.

catlharper Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 5:27pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffiner5825

This may be a silly question. What are the rules to making a cake just like or using ideas from one picture on CC. I have used several ideas and didn't think of them being copyrighted. I don't make my cakes for profit, just for my kids, family and friends nor ever claimed the idea as my own. In fact I bragg about how great CC is for ideas. But I would love to have my own cake business someday.

Jeff, there is no way to copyright a cake and many people do get inspiration from the cakes here to make their own. What I would do to keep yourself up on a high moral and ethical ground is not to actually COPY someones work but to incorporate what you do like from their work into your own design. Often I don't even know exactly what persons cake has inspired me but if it's inspired by something on here then I do give general credit such as "thank you to the CC artists who inspired me and shared their wonderful designs". As long as you are not looking at a cake and then copying it detail by detail then you will know that at least morally and ethically you are doing the right thing. If you are coming close to a copy make sure to credit the person you are copying such as "this is my take on Marina Sousa's Butterfly Cake".

Cat

glow0369 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 5:43pm
post #8 of 14

I agree with costumezar.. When I dreaming of new designs etc... somebody somewher is already doing, done that...hhhmmmm so hoe original is it really. Putting same disign different placement etc.

cheatize Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 11:53pm
post #9 of 14

The copyright sign followed by your signature written across the picture might deter someone. Just make it the last thing you do before you hand it over.

catlharper Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 12:09am
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

The copyright sign followed by your signature written across the picture might deter someone. Just make it the last thing you do before you hand it over.

hand it over to who? My sketches never leave me. I may email a photo to a client but it has a copyright on it but the physical is always with me. I will often take a sketch with me to a client meeting but the client doesn't get to take it home with them. So...???

cheatize Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 4:07am
post #11 of 14

There are those who leave the sketch with the potential client. That's the "who" I referred to.

beautifulcakes2007 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 1:42pm
post #12 of 14

well I have one that i made for "MY" wedding...and I was gonna have someone else do the cake for me, in detail just the way I want it, but I didnt want that person saying "they" came up with they ideal, I also made one for my friends wedding that I was gonna do but she might go out of State for it, but she still wants the design i made for her.

So for the watermark I would have to scan my design to the compter to get it?

costumeczar Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 8:53pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulcakes2007

well I have one that i made for "MY" wedding...and I was gonna have someone else do the cake for me, in detail just the way I want it, but I didnt want that person saying "they" came up with they ideal, I also made one for my friends wedding that I was gonna do but she might go out of State for it, but she still wants the design i made for her.

So for the watermark I would have to scan my design to the compter to get it?

No matter what you do, someone could still say they made up the design. They shouldn't, but they mgiht.

Anyway, one way to mark your photos is to use the paint program in word. Open the picture in paint, resize it if you have to, then add text across the picture. Choose the background that makes the text window transparent, then make the text a color that will show up against the picture. If you don't know how to use paint I can do a more specific step-by-step when I get a chance.

beautifulcakes2007 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 7:01pm
post #14 of 14

@ costumeczar
Thank you so much...that would really help me...I'm fine with someone using it as long as I give the permison and get the credit fo the design....I would have to look into that Paint thing, dont know much about it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%