Would You Do This Carved Cake In All Buttercream???

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 11 Sep 2010 , 6:35am by LuluSweetArt

JCE62108 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 2:27am
post #1 of 9

I had someone request a 3D version of a Disney "Cars" character. She said she didnt know which one she wanted yet, but she wanted it all in buttercream, or mostly buttercream with fondant details.

This is the first time I told someone "no". I mean, there would have to be so much fondant or possibly gumpaste details on the thing, that it would be pointless and overly difficult to try to avoid covering the thing in fondant....anyway, that's how I feel. I dont know how I would do a 3D car, no less one of those characters, in all buttercream and have it look good with all the details and such.

What do you think? Would you have taken an order like that? Maybe since Ive been doing fondant so much Ive lost my confidence in my buttercream skills. Honestly, its been nearly a year since Ive done a cake in buttercream only. I just found I like fondant so much better. icon_smile.gif Seems like it opens up my design options tremendously. Although, maybe Im just lacking skills in buttercream now.

For a decorator with a good, solid 3 years of experience, should I be comfortable doing a cake like this in all buttercream? Im starting to second guess my answer to her now.

8 replies
Ruth0209 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 2:23am
post #2 of 9

No, I wouldn't do it, either. It'd be next to impossible to make anything that looked decent only with buttercream.

Some cakes are just not meant to be made in buttercream. I also refuse to do dark colors in buttercream because it's difficult to get a good color, it tends to separate, it makes the icing bitter and it stains peoples' mouths. It's all around awful.

I just tell them I won't do it. If they don't want fondant they can find another cake decorator.

mbark Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 2:33am
post #3 of 9

mmm, the large vodka bottle I just did was all buttecream except for the bottle top, it looked pretty good. I think if customers know that bc will not be as flawless as fondant, but for some it's worth the flavor.
the paper towel method works great on all shapes IMO
but of course if you're not comfortable doing the cake in bc, it was probably wise just to turn it down

catlharper Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 2:50am
post #4 of 9

I hate doing car cakes to begin with so no, I wouldn't pony up for a full BC one much less one that's supposed to look like a recognizable character. I wouldn't do a CARS cake because it's copyrighted and not worth the fine to my business to do it either so I'd be able to use that as an excuse. If you are in business you could use it as yours too! LOL! I would do a "background" cake of a road/desert and then let them stick a CARS character on it!

Cat

step0nmi Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:23am
post #5 of 9

i have never done a car cake before..but I know the shape of that cake and it would be waaay better to be done in fondant. no problem turning it away...you are allowed to choose what cakes you want to do! icon_lol.gif

cheesecakes-galore Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:26am
post #6 of 9

I did a 3D race car cake in all buttercream. Of course I forgot to take a picture when I was finished, but it turned out all right. Definitely not as nice as fondant, but I did the accents, like numbers and such in royal icing - traced the numbers out and let the royal dry then applied. But most of my customers do not like fondant anyways, so I rarely do fondant.

Cake_Bliss Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 4:01am
post #7 of 9

not sure how it would be for a car (I am not a pro), but I am doing a 3D duck that I carved and she is being covered in buttercream. I'm using the fur/grass tip so she'll look like a furry chick.

Ruth0209 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 6:10am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbark

mmm, the large vodka bottle I just did was all buttecream except for the bottle top, it looked pretty good. I think if customers know that bc will not be as flawless as fondant, but for some it's worth the flavor.
the paper towel method works great on all shapes IMO
but of course if you're not comfortable doing the cake in bc, it was probably wise just to turn it down

That IS a good looking bottle of vodka. But you have to admit, its shape is a lot like a round cake. It doesn't have a bunch of peaks and valleys and inside curves like a car would have.

On something like a duck that one person mentioned, if you don't want the BC to look smooth, that's do-able, too. I think where you need a smooth finish like a car would have, it's an uphill battle with BC.

LuluSweetArt Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 6:35am
post #9 of 9

I absolutely would not try to do a cake like that in butter cream! What a nightmare! Even if you use the Viva method, you'll never get it smooth enough to look like a car...especially a recognizable character! I think you did the right thing! Maybe it's just me, I avoid butter cream cakes like the plague, but I think that fondant just allows you to do so much more when it comes to decoration.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%