Please Help! Edible Images Aren't Dissolving

Decorating By AnnBland Updated 11 Sep 2010 , 12:32pm by kansaslaura

AnnBland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnBland Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 2:17am
post #1 of 15

I just got my first edible image printer and I'm using it for an order of cupcakes for tomorrow. I read everywhere that once the image is in contact with buttercream or fondant, it will dissolve into it.

I put one on top of my whipped cream frosting, and it is not dissolving.
I put another one on top of a fondant circle (with piping gel) and it is not dissolving either.

How can I make it so that the image dissolves?

14 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 3:27am
post #2 of 15

Well, it doesn't actually dissolve. It stays soft so that you can cut thru it.

AnnBland Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 5:41am
post #3 of 15

Oh, that's disappointing icon_sad.gif The cupcakes came out looking terrible with the borders showing. I wouldn't have wasted the money if I had known.

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 5:50am
post #4 of 15

I don't think they dissolve instantly. It takes a while for them to become soft. Maybe overnite.

LuluSweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuluSweetArt Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 5:52am
post #5 of 15

I've used them before, and what I did was use a soft brush and painted my fondant with water, the images didn't completely dissolve, but they definitely blended more than with piping gel or butter cream.

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 5:52am
post #6 of 15

I don't think they dissolve instantly. It takes a while for them to become soft. Maybe overnite.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 11:16am
post #7 of 15

You can adhere images with piping gel, but they will not disolve that way. Water makes them merge in to the icing, but because of color differences between the image and the frosting, you will always see some sort of line unless you pipe around it.

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 11:33am
post #8 of 15

Is there any way you can pipe an icing border around the edge of the frosting sheet? I usually do that with my cakes and cookies and it makes it look more finished. I haven't tried it with cupcakes or fondant, though.
Good luck!

AnnBland Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 4:26pm
post #9 of 15

Thanks for the responses guys. They looked the same in the morning, you could see the edges of where I placed the frosting sheet circle. I had them placed on a "doily" cutout, so you could see the round edges inside of the fluted edges.

Maria, I could have piped around the image, yes, but unfortunately I hate the way that looks. icon_sad.gif

Thanks again guys.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 4:48pm
post #10 of 15

They dont dissolve like that. The edges have to be covered by a border. They will get transulcent but if you see, most people when they do images they cover the borders unless you make sure that the cut is precise and it looks good without the border.
Edna icon_smile.gif

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 7:55pm
post #11 of 15

What the image does is Merge, not dissolve. While it merges, you will have the color of the icing sheet and the color of the icing which are two different colors and therefore you will see lines. The severity depends on the color of the icing.

AnnBland Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 12:33am
post #12 of 15

Do I have to use white frosting? Will it merge onto, say pink?

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 1:06am
post #13 of 15

I've had luck with lighter colors such as pink and light yellow and light lilac. It won't alter the color of the image.
But that still doesn't completely solve the issue of the ragged or uneven edges, if you have them. I tend to "cheat" and hide the edges with a royal icing border on my cookies. Haven't tried edible images on cupcakes yet.

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 11:31am
post #14 of 15

I use my Silhouette to cut edible images for my cookies. I put them on fondant, then emboss the edges. I like the way they look.

Pics did not upload, here are the links:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1800054&done=1

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1800056&done=1

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 12:32pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnBland

Do I have to use white frosting? Will it merge onto, say pink?

From my experience there is no merging. I always put a border on them, doesn't matter the color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%