I Might Have A Disaster On My Hands

Decorating By Jenniferkay Updated 10 Sep 2010 , 11:29am by Malakin

Jenniferkay Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 12:51am
post #1 of 4

went to put my 12" top layer on and it cracked. Tried to bc together and fill in. It's in the fridge setting up before crumb coat. Should I be scared? I have 6/9 dummies and 2 2" foam seperators going on top of it. All fondant. What should I do?

3 replies
eve81 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 9:54am
post #2 of 4

I'd be very nervous putting all that weight on a cracked cake. Even though the dummies are light surely the fondant will weigh them down. If it were me I'd want to redo. Sorry icon_sad.gif

AbouttheCake Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 10:15am
post #3 of 4

You could also flip the cake over and have the cracked layer on the bottom. It' really going to depend on how bad the layer cracked. If it's just a small one, you can use it, but if it's cracked in half, I'd ay rebake.

There shouldn't be any weight on top of a cake. The weight should be on the supports so that shouldn't be the issue. The issue would be whether or not the cake will hold the dowels/straws, etc.

Malakin Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 11:29am
post #4 of 4

Ohhh....if it's bigger than an inch down into the cake I'd be scared. I always go for a sure thing and don't like taking chances. If there was nothing on top and it was fondant covered I wouldn't be as worried.

Quote by @%username% on %date%