How Can I Make These Designs Cohesive?

Decorating By kmstreepey Updated 10 Sep 2010 , 1:36pm by matthewkyrankelly

kmstreepey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmstreepey Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 12:03am
post #1 of 6

I am making two small cakes for a party that is for both a baby's baptism and a 3-year-old's birthday. I want to make the cakes cohesive in design, even though the themes/events are very different. For the baptism cake, I am doing a simple cross on the top and smaller crosses on the sides. The cake will be pale green with chocolate brown crosses and white accents. The bottom border will be the pale green and brown, twisted together (rope). The birthday cake will be pale blue with a fondant cut-out train around the outside. The train will be chocolate brown with pale green, blue, and white accents. This one will also have a rope bottom border, but with blue and brown. Are the colors enough to make these cakes look like they go together, since they will be displayed together at the party? Originally, they were going to be stacked, but the host changed her mind and now wants two separate 8" cakes. In some ways, this makes it easier and they are both simple cakes, but I am a newbie and having a hard time seeing in my head that these will look great together as well as each on its own. I would love any suggestions!! Thank you!!

5 replies
yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 3:00am
post #2 of 6

Welcome to CC! Work it; it's sounds perfect,; I wouldn't change a thing. I want to see this cake so please post pictures; I love those colors with chocolate brown.

Edited to add:

I don't know if the client is the same for both cakes, but if the client for the christening cake didn't request blue, brown and white, you could add a few green crosses here and there and maybe adding a little green to the cross topper (depending on how you planned on decorating it).

Edited to add:
I now see that it is there is only one client; go for it!

kmstreepey Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 3:12am
post #3 of 6

Thanks for the input! I was really struggling with this one. The host is actually a friend and I'm doing it for her as a gift. She isn't very picky and I can probably make some suggestions/changes. That is a good idea about adding in the brown on the crosses. Thanks!

shannonmarie77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonmarie77 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 5:59am
post #4 of 6

I think they will look great together since they have similar colors and the ropes on the bottom. Is the baptism cake for a boy or a girl? If it is for a boy maybe you could add a few small pale blue accents to the baptism cake.

kmstreepey Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 1:22pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks! Yes, the baptism cake is for a boy, so the blue accents would work.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 1:36pm
post #6 of 6

I like that you are keeping a dominant color in each cake and adding accent colors. When you take the dominant color of one cake and make it an accent color in the other, you will tie them together.

Also, keep the style of the borders and accents similar in size and style and they will go together completely without looking the same.

I'm sure they will turn out beautifully. The colors sound great. It is a wonderful gift.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%