Staggering Sheet Cake Layers To Avoid Splitting?

Decorating By TabbieCakes Updated 9 Sep 2010 , 11:42pm by microbiology1

TabbieCakes Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 10:50pm
post #1 of 3

I need to make a half sheet, but only have 1/4 sheet pans and my oven is too small to accomodate anything larger anyway.

Since I will need to cover the whole thing in fondant, I'm worried about putting two (torted) 1/2 sheet cakes next to each other, for fear the fondant will eventually tear where the two cakes are connected in the middle.

I'm thinking about doing this:
1. Cutting the two 1/4 sheets in half horizontally (for torting puposes), which will create 4 pieces.
2. Putting two of the pieces next to each other on the cake board.
3. Laying down the filling (between the pieces lying next to each other and on top of both).
4. Taking the third piece and placing it over the "seam" formed in the middle by the two layers already placed down.
5. Cutting the remaing piece in half and placing on either side of the piece I just layed down in the middle.

Does this make sense? Does it sound like a good idea? Any better ideas out there? Is it necessary?

Thanks!

2 replies
TabbieCakes Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 10:51pm
post #2 of 3

P.S. I didn't have room to mention I'm planning to put a Cross cake (also covered in fondant) on the top left of this built up 1/2 sheet cake.

Am I crazy?

microbiology1 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 11:42pm
post #3 of 3

How thick of a layer of buttercream are you putting over the cake? As long as you fill between the pieces, put a decent layer of bc on the top, and the cakes don't slide (make sure you cement them down with some bc on the board) I think you should be fine. I've never staggered my pieced cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%