Question About Mini-Cupcakes And Sticking To Liners?

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 10 Sep 2010 , 10:33pm by JCE62108

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 10:12pm
post #1 of 9

I have not done mini cupcakes yet, however I have an order for one tuesday. I decided to try out my mini cupcake pan last week to make some muffins. It was a disaster. The muffins stuck to the wrappers so bad that all I could get out of it was the top of the muffin and the rest stuck like glue to the paper. Is this something that commonly happens with cake mix too? Now Im nervous about this order. The directions for the muffins even suggested to spray a little cooking spray on the papers before putting in the batter. It obviously didnt help in the least. Is there anything that might help me keep the mini cupakes from having the same problem?

8 replies
dirtycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dirtycakes Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 10:08am
post #2 of 9

I make mini cupcakes weekly and I can honestly say I've never had that happen. You said you made muffins, maybe it was the type of batter? Best bet is bake a trial using your cupcake recipe prior to the event. Also, maybe a different paper liner? I wouldn't recommend spraying nonstick, I think the extra moisture might give you trouble with the papers actually coming off the cupcake sides. Good luck icon_smile.gif

TheBlonde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBlonde Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 9

I make them all the time and have no problems. I wouldn't spray the liners though. Just make sure they cool completely and you shouldn't have a problem.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 4:05pm
post #4 of 9

They shouldn't stick. Don't spray the papers at all.

Why do you call them mini cupcakes at the beginning and then muffins? Did you use the same batter you're going to use for the cupcakes?

Which pan are you using? You say it's new.

Also, you should wait till they cool completely before you take off the paper.

This happened to my sister in Ecuador once. I sent her wrappers from the US and it never happened again. As dirtycakes said, it could be the paper liner.

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 4:21pm
post #5 of 9

Ideas:
What recipe of cake are you making? Does it stick to regular sized liners? If the recipe says spray the liners, then something is wrong...it's not meant to be a cupcake!

Definitely let those babies cool before trying to peel the paper off. Sometimes mine won't peel correctly until they've sat for about 12hours.

Some paper liners are really crappy...could you use a different brand? I hate the Wilton ones and always seem to have some kind of trouble with them!

JCE62108 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 6:27pm
post #6 of 9

No no no. lol. Ok, I just made the muffins for breakfast the other day. Just to try out the pan because Ive never made mini cupcakes....or mini anything....before. Its not going to be the same batter at all. I just had that problem with the muffins, and didnt know if it was a common problem with cake batter as well. I make standard cupcakes all the time with no problems, but I just didnt know if the mini's maybe baked differently...or too fast...or something like that, that causes it to stick.

You guys are probably right though. It was probably just the muffin mix I used. I thought it was weird it said to spray the liners in the directions anyway. Id never do that with paper liners for a cupcake order because it would just look gross and greasy.

Well, Im not going to have time to do a test run before the order is due. I have too many other things to get done. So Im just going to take your word for it that the mini cupcakes turn out fine. Also, I took the muffins out of the wrappers while still a little warm. Im sure that could have had something to do with it also after hearing your comments.

One last question, I usually bake my cake recipe at 325. Should I adjust that for mini cupcakes?

TheBlonde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBlonde Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 6:33pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE62108

No no no. lol. Ok, I just made the muffins for breakfast the other day. Just to try out the pan because Ive never made mini cupcakes....or mini anything....before. Its not going to be the same batter at all. I just had that problem with the muffins, and didnt know if it was a common problem with cake batter as well. I make standard cupcakes all the time with no problems, but I just didnt know if the mini's maybe baked differently...or too fast...or something like that, that causes it to stick.

You guys are probably right though. It was probably just the muffin mix I used. I thought it was weird it said to spray the liners in the directions anyway. Id never do that with paper liners for a cupcake order because it would just look gross and greasy.

Well, Im not going to have time to do a test run before the order is due. I have too many other things to get done. So Im just going to take your word for it that the mini cupcakes turn out fine. Also, I took the muffins out of the wrappers while still a little warm. Im sure that could have had something to do with it also after hearing your comments.

One last question, I usually bake my cake recipe at 325. Should I adjust that for mini cupcakes?

325 is what I bake my minis at. They only take 15-17 minutes for me but it all depends on your oven.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 6:35pm
post #8 of 9

OK... Now we get it. By the way, muffins are baked without the liners a lot of times. So maybe the instructions said to spray the wells in the pan, which would be normal to do if you are making muffins. No liners.

Phew! You'll be ok with the cupcakes... I think... but why don't you do a small test well ahead of time, with the recipe for the cupcakes so that you know that it will work flawlessly!

I usually bake my cupcakes at 325. With minis, you probably have to check in early enough so that they don't burn. And make sure your liner is only filled about 2/3rds, not all the way.

JCE62108 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 10:33pm
post #9 of 9

The directions for the muffins said you could use liners or just put the batter in the pan. Either way it said to spray it, which I thought was weird...but oh well. I appreciate everyone's advice. Thank you for easing my mind! I wont have time to test it, but Ill take your word for it. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%