Flipping Out!!!

Decorating By SugarKissesCakery Updated 10 Sep 2010 , 10:35pm by beenie51

SugarKissesCakery Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 7:26pm
post #1 of 17

I'm in the process of making my second wedding cake and I'm so nervous I feel like I could throw up. Can you give me some encouragement, cake friends??? How do you deal with the nerves?

P.S. I'm driving this cake 1.5 hours away in the car Saturday. Ahhh!

P.S.S. How do I get my edible pearls to be pearly? I have luster dust - tell me I don't have to paint it on each one . . . Please!

16 replies
Cakechick123 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 7:36pm
post #2 of 17

Good luck!!! youll be fine icon_smile.gif

as for the pearls, if they are already hard, just place them in a palctic ziplock with some dust and shake them.
It covers those beauties perfectly icon_smile.gif

cheriej Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 7:40pm
post #3 of 17

You can also spray the pearls with PMM Edible Lustre Spray in Pearl. It gives them a great sheen and it's easy to do.

luddroth Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 7:51pm
post #4 of 17

If you're using one of those string of pearl makers, brush the mold with luster dust before you put the fondant in the mold.

Suzisweet Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 17

Take a deep breath, think positive thoughts, pray to the Cake Gods and all Gods that will listen. You will be fine.

Your cake will be lovely
Suzi

PS - If the cake is stacked; make sure that you use the proper supports for travel. YOU CAN DO IT!

DeezTreatz Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 7:54pm
post #6 of 17

Just pretend it's a birthday cake.
Judging from your photos.... You're awesome. I wouldn't worry! U can dooo it!
Bring someone with you to chat with and hold the cake on the drive! Or watch it! on the floor of the car. icon_smile.gif
I've used the pearl dragees before, and just left them as is... I would leave them be, no one will notice.. seriously !

TucsonGina Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 7:55pm
post #7 of 17

If this is your second wedding cake, you must have survived the 1st one! I can only be a cheerleader on the side, as I have not done a wedding cake yet. A couple people have asked me for future weddings, but I am a newbie at decorating (6 months), and need more practice. You will do an awesome job . . . just breathe thumbs_up.gif

SugarKissesCakery Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 3:53am
post #8 of 17

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I have all my beautifully iced cakes sitting downstairs on the dining room table and I'm afraid to stack them. TERRIFIED. How on earth do I move the 12 inch tier on to the 15 inch tier without screwing up the icing. It won't fit in my fridge to firm up the buttercream. Wisdom? icon_smile.gif

Apti Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 4:37am
post #9 of 17

Here's a you tube video link for tonedna's way to stack buttercream cakes.

When you bring up the video, there are also other videos on the side you may want to watch.

Good luck! You'll be fine. Don't forget to take your mini-cake-hospital supplies with you when you travel so you can fix anything that may be needed upon arrival.

Ruth0209 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 4:39am
post #10 of 17

When you put the dowels into the bottom tier don't push them down all the way. Leave them all sticking out about halfway. Put the bottom of a cake pan on top and push them down together a bit so they're all even. Make SURE they're in straight. Pick up the smaller tier with your fingers under it on each side. Center it where you want it and set it down on the dowels. The weight of the top tier should cause the dowels to sink slowly into the cake coming to rest where it belongs. You have to be careful doing this because sometimes the dowels don't go down evenly and the cake will tip. If it's not all the way down seated well on the bottom tier, push a longer dowel down through the center of it to push it down the rest of the way. It'll just make a little hole that's easily repaired. You'll probably still have some repair work to do, but it'll be less.

You need to take some shelves out of your fridge and just make room. If you're transporting it a long way, you REALLY need to chill it down as cool as you can. That'll firm it up and it'll hold together better during transport. Get an ice cooler and put the rest of your fridge contents in it temporarily if you have to.

Apti Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 5:27pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

When you put the dowels into the bottom tier don't push them down all the way. Leave them all sticking out about halfway. Put the bottom of a cake pan on top and push them down together a bit so they're all even. Make SURE they're in straight. Pick up the smaller tier with your fingers under it on each side. Center it where you want it and set it down on the dowels. The weight of the top tier should cause the dowels to sink slowly into the cake coming to rest where it belongs. You have to be careful doing this because sometimes the dowels don't go down evenly and the cake will tip. If it's not all the way down seated well on the bottom tier, push a longer dowel down through the center of it to push it down the rest of the way. It'll just make a little hole that's easily repaired. You'll probably still have some repair work to do, but it'll be less.

You need to take some shelves out of your fridge and just make room. If you're transporting it a long way, you REALLY need to chill it down as cool as you can. That'll firm it up and it'll hold together better during transport. Get an ice cooler and put the rest of your fridge contents in it temporarily if you have to.

Wow! Those are fabulous tips! Thank you very much.

RoseCitySugarcraft Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 5:55pm
post #12 of 17

all the suggestions above are GREAT advice!

For transporting, you might try stacking the bottom two tiers, and the top two tiers, and travelling to the event site, then assembling the rest of the way. 1.5 hour drive can be hard on the cakes, AND you. But with partial assembly taken care of, you won't have so much to do once at your destination.

HTH, and look forward to seeing pics of the finished cake!
~ Scott

chrisviz Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 6:13pm
post #13 of 17

I am learning some great tips here! Thanks everyone!

Karen421 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 6:49pm
post #14 of 17

You might want to check out the SPS system also.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603925.html

I love it! My driveway is 1/4 mile long and currently full of potholes - and I never have a problem with the SPS thumbs_up.gif

SugarKissesCakery Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 10:22pm
post #15 of 17

I love this site because it is full of people always willing to help. Thank you so much! I'll post a pic when I'm finished. Almost there icon_smile.gif

gsbcakes Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 10:29pm
post #16 of 17

Ruth that is the exact advice I was going to say. I watched Sharons video and this made my life so much easier. I use the tea straws and put them about half way in and then let them slowly bring the cake down to its resting point.

Sending cake love your way and am praying for an easy night of stacking, decorating and deliver for you.

beenie51 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 10:35pm
post #17 of 17

A few years ago I did a 4 tier cake that I transported 1.25 hours from my home. I delvered it stacked and I sweated and worried all the way there. The cake made it fine and I recovered.

I know you can do it. And follow the advice from the other CC'ers and you will be fine. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%