Fondant Basketweave??

Decorating By Maurita Updated 9 Sep 2010 , 9:28pm by pood

Maurita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maurita Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 7:25pm
post #1 of 15

Has anyone ever heard of a fondant basketweave or lattice?? I have a client asking for it and I don't know what she's talking about. She's convinced it's fondant and not BC. Please post photos if you know. Thanks! (I've already asked her for a photo, she's looking for it...)

14 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 7:33pm
post #2 of 15

You can make basketweave or lattice designs with fondant (very time-consuming for basketweave, buttercream would look almost as good. Lattice wouldn't take too long, and would look much better than trying to pipe with buttercream depending on how thick or thin it needed to be).

GGFan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GGFan Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 15

I saw a basketweave rolling pin type thing that you could roll on fondant before you cover it. It seems very difficult because you can't smooth out the fondant otherwise you might erase the impression. I believe PME make them.

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 15

I think I've seen basketweave impression mats, too, but can't remember where.

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 7:49pm
post #5 of 15

Murita - sent you a pm. Let me know if you got it.

sweetheart6710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetheart6710 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 7:56pm
post #6 of 15

http://www.pinkcakebox.com/images/cake1232.jpg

I found this from Pink Cake Box.. they have other cakes VERY similar, so I'm assuming its a mat of some kind. But I swear I have seen people use small pieces of fondant in a tricky way.. it isn't actually woven, but it gives the illusion it is.. I'll keep looking and see if I can find what I'm looking for

texanlostlover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texanlostlover Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 8:01pm
post #7 of 15

I haven't bought it, so I don't know how well it works, but I saw a basketweave impression mat at Michaels. It's with the new Duff (from Ace of Cakes) products.

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 8:09pm
post #8 of 15

Here's a fondant basketweave on youtube....

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 8:11pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetheart6710

http://www.pinkcakebox.com/images/cake1232.jpg

I found this from Pink Cake Box.. they have other cakes VERY similar, so I'm assuming its a mat of some kind. But I swear I have seen people use small pieces of fondant in a tricky way.. it isn't actually woven, but it gives the illusion it is.. I'll keep looking and see if I can find what I'm looking for

Yes this is a mat - am pretty sure.

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 8:15pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie53

Here's a fondant basketweave on youtube....

Hey this is great - two future cake decorators in the works...and teh basket weave looks pretty easy the way they did it.

Maurita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maurita Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 8:26pm
post #11 of 15

thumbs_up.gif Thank you so much everyone. Yes, I think the video shows what she is talking about. I am SO relieved to see that small pieces of fondant are used. I was imagining a mess of melting/cracking fondant strips in my hands while I tried to weave them- yikes. Not sure why I didn't think of using the smaller pieces on my own. Totally makes sense. I love this website and the willingness of everyone to help eachother out. Thank you!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 8:32pm
post #12 of 15

Ahh . . .the pinkcak box one is an impression mat, applied on the side like a giant ribbon. That's why there's a rope edge at the top.

ctirella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctirella Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 8:58pm
post #13 of 15

one i made very ease to do .

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 9:18pm
post #14 of 15

I agree with Lea_s. I think i have seen some impression mats being imprinted once the fondant has been put on the cake.

pood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pood Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 9:28pm
post #15 of 15

Here is a fondant basketweave that was done for a Christian organization. It was made to look like a basket for loaves and fishes. Hope this helps. It is also in my photos.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%