What Icing Is Best To Pipe A Border On A Fondant Bow?

Decorating By trishvanhoozer Updated 10 Sep 2010 , 2:44am by trishvanhoozer

trishvanhoozer Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 8

I have to make a big white bow from fondant and I need to outline it in black. I am not sure how to go about the outline. I have formed all my loops and tails out of fondant with shimmer dust and now I have to add the edge. Does anyone have suggestoins for 1) the type of icing to use (I am kicking around a royal icing) 2) the size tip to use and 3) the procedure (i.e. do one side let it dry, then do the other, or hang on dowel and do both sides at once).

Thanks for any insight!! I am posting a photo of the cake with the bow.

7 replies
TexasSugar Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 5:19pm
post #2 of 8

If I was using icing I'd use royal since it will dry hard. Unless you have an extruder, then I would probably do a fondant/gumpaste rope and attach it.

Can you paint the black outline on?

DianeLM Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 5:45pm
post #3 of 8

Darn. I wish you had asked this BEFORE you made your loops. On the cake below, I used an extruder, as mentioned by Texas Sugar, and glued the edge on before I formed the loops.

Honestly, I think I would paint the black trim on rather than trying to pipe it on. You can use blue painters tape to help make a straight line. If the painters tape sticks too much, just 'blot' some of the adhesive off on a clean towel.

trishvanhoozer Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 12:47am
post #4 of 8

Thank you for responses... I did use the royal with a 3 tip, it is not really the best choice, and certainly doesn't look anything like I wanted, but with no more time, it is what it is!! I love your cake Diane, it is fantastic. I do not have any dealings with an extruder, and I have made only one other bow in my life, your cake looks amazing. I would love to learn to do such awesome work!

trishvanhoozer Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 12:55am
post #5 of 8

Diane, I think I am going to toss all these loops and go buy the extruder tomorrow. Only question, can you walk me through the steps to do the bow loops? I am sorry to impose!! I know it is a lot of work to do it, but if you don't mind sharing, can you just walk me through the steps from rolling and adhereing etc. Also, do I need to mix with gumpaste for the extruder? It looks very easy (looked on youtube for demo). Thank you!! Private message would work as well, if too difficult to post here.

Thanks again, Trish

emilyg Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 1:20am
post #6 of 8

Trish, here's another idea for the files when you do another bow - use a combed line of SugarVeil for the black edging. Just mix black powdered color into the dry SugarVeil, then use the Confectionery Comb to comb the lines (use the "Heavy Lines" edge) on a greased silicone mat, then attach the combed line to the edge of the bow.

Here's a polka-dotted bow that was done that way: http://www.sugarveil.com/gallery/sugarveil_cakes.htm (bottom of page on the left). The "piped" green line is actually a combed SugarVeil line attached with the slightest bit of water to the edge of the bow.

You can do the same thing with SugarVeil on gumpaste or fondant bows, too.

Michele at SugarVeil

DianeLM Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 2:06am
post #7 of 8

Michelle, that's an awesome idea. I have SugarVeil and keep forgetting all the wonderful tricks I can do with it!

Trish, I'm sorry your loops didn't work out.

Did you look at my loopy bow tutorial for the basics? It's the link below my signature.

To make the loops with the extruded edge, roll out and cut your strips as usual. Keep them under a piece of plastic to prevent drying while you're making the edge. If you have a Wilton practice board, that's perfect.

Knead a little shortening into your black fondant. That will make it easier to extrude.

Once you have a good length of black snake, paint a very thin coat of gum glue or water to the sides of the first strip. With the strip lying flat on your work surface, lay the black snake next to it, then gently press it against the strip. Do the same on the other side.

Let the strips set up for a few minutes under the plastic. Form the loops as usual.

If the black edging comes off, it's probably the result of TOO MUCH glue. You only want it tacky. Too much glue will make everything slippery and slimy and nothing will stick.

However, if the edge falls off and you don't feel any sliminess, the cause is probably not enough glue.

Good luck!

trishvanhoozer Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 2:44am
post #8 of 8

Thanks Diane! I really really appreciate the help. I have printed up the tutorial and will tackle this first thing in the morning! I have until Saturday at 3pm to deliver so I think it will have time to dry. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%