Freezing Cupcakes

Baking By DebinD Updated 9 Sep 2010 , 5:19pm by jessicalyn98

DebinD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebinD Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 7

My kids have peanut allergies so they miss out on celebrations all the time at school. I used to keep cupcakes at home and thaw in the morning, frost them and then send them to school. However that system isn't working anymore -so I need to send a couple cupcakes to school for them to keep in the freezer. So they need to be frosted ahead of time.

How do I do this? Do I frost with a butter cream ahead of time? I usually use sprinkles, can those freeze? Is there a better frosting for freezing? Is it bad if I keep a frozen batch in my freezer -frost them frozen as I need to send them in to be frozen?

Of course that means lots of little batches of frosting. How long will frozen frosting last?

How would you do this -baking 12 cupcakes at a time, but only needing 2 at a time.

6 replies
imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 4:30pm
post #2 of 7

Thread here:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-679991.html

If I find more, I'll post the links.

imagenthatnj Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 4:36pm
post #4 of 7

There's also individual cupcake holders now.

I haven't frozen anything in them, but it's an idea. If you frost and decorate your cupcake and put it in one of these, and then wrap them hermetically in saran wrap and aluminum...I've used these cupcake holders to send my godchildren with cupcakes that will stay nicely frosted.

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/outlet/kitchen-storage/individual-cupcake-holders-set-of-two/f25946

DebinD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebinD Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 4:44pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks!! Everyone keeps talking about freezing them unfrosted which is what I do now -but I'm wondering how I might freeze them frosted and how long they will last?
Maybe every week there is a birthday I can decorate two of my frozen cupcakes and put them in the holder and they will be good whenever there is a party that week. I asked to be told the day before about celebrations, but no one has yet and my kids have missed 3 birthdays so far and I have my cakes at home!

imagenthatnj Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 5:01pm
post #6 of 7

I think everyone says to freeze them unfrosted because it is a lot of trouble to freeze a lot of them. I wouldn't do 50, lol, but I would certainly try anything so that the kids dear to me don't miss on celebrations, especially having enough cake at home! It's a sin. lol.

Read through all the links. I freeze cake and cupcakes, I freeze buttercream too. I don't see any reason why they couldn't be frozen together if you can make sure that the containers are completely sealed and wrapped in plastic. All you have to avoid is freezer frost.

You can also cover all the containers with a freezer bag. Long ago, I researched freezing like a maniac.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/freeze/containers.html

And...maybe someone else with experience will answer too!

jessicalyn98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessicalyn98 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 5:19pm
post #7 of 7

i freeze frosted cakes (cut into pieces) and cupcakes all the time and they stay really well in the freezer. i typically wrap them in foil and then put in a freezer bag. I recently pulled out some cake slices i forgot about and they were still perfect and it had been a good 5 months. no freezer burn or anything.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%