Purse Cakes!

Decorating By DeezTreatz Updated 12 Sep 2010 , 2:04am by FlourPots

DeezTreatz Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 4:12pm
post #1 of 6

I recently did a Chanel purse that turned out pretty well, but after a couple days of sitting there... it slowly, slowly collapsed. It was a 'just for fun' practice cake.

When stacking a purse cake - is there any tips or suggestions you could help me with so it doesn't fall over - does it need more weight? It's in my pics.
It was just a 8" round cut in half and iced together.

5 replies
FlourPots Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 6

I've made a few purse cakes, and I always use bubble tea straws and cake boards inside...works great, but for the style you described, I wouldn't use any.

I think it's just the amount of time it was sitting around that caused the collapse.

DeezTreatz Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 8:02pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks icon_smile.gif

What do you do with your cakeboards in the cake?
Your purses are lovely!

FlourPots Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 8:05pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you...

I use them (with the straws underneath) to hold up the upper layers.
So if the purse is 4 layers of cake let's say, the top 2 layers need to be supported.

DeezTreatz Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 1:45am
post #5 of 6

How much would you charge for a Coach Purse that looks like the Chanel one in my pics, but with a bunch of C's of course...

I've been charging per serving, and have gone up in my price, by I feel like I don't make any money off of it.

FlourPots Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 2:04am
post #6 of 6

Oh man...I have no clue about pricing...I'm a hobby decorator...most of my cakes are for fun and learning, so I could improve...if I do a cake for a family member, they pay for all the ingredients, but that's it...

well my sister did make me accept 50 bucks for the helmet in my avatar photo, but she had already bought ALL the ingredients (including Pettinice fondant), the ball pan, the extruder (she let me keep them of course), and she tried to buy me cutters for the letters & numbers (on the field), but I insisted that I could hand-cut those easily with a template.

Quote by @%username% on %date%