What Type Of Alcohol Is Used In Food Coloring

Decorating By mamajenks62 Updated 9 Sep 2010 , 4:42pm by Texas_Rose

mamajenks62 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 5

i am wondering what kind of alcohol is used in food coloring so your able to paint on fondant and royal icing? I was watching the amazing wedding cake show and several others and they kept mentioning putting alcohol in the food coloring but never said what kind.. icon_smile.gif

4 replies
redpanda Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 3:03pm
post #2 of 5

I use vodka, but that is just because it's what I have on hand. (Everclear would probably be better.)

TexasSugar Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 5

Vodka, Gin or Everclear.

Everclear is my favorite, but not everyone can buy it in their state.

You are looking for a clear alcohol with a high alcohol content to it. You can also use lemon extract and some even use vanilla extract.

I'll mix alcohol with dusts, but my favorite thing to paint with is airbrush colors. They are already thinned down and ready to use. icon_smile.gif

anamado Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 3:37pm
post #4 of 5

I use Sake because, just as Redpanda says, it's what I have on hand icon_biggrin.gif
Someone gave us a bottle and we didn't like the taste.
I use it for gel colors and for pearl dusts.

Texas_Rose Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 4:42pm
post #5 of 5

I use vodka because it's cheap. I bought a half gallon of really cheap vodka, and a small glass bottle with a dropper (glass bottle from the health-food store). I fill the small bottle as needed and the dropper makes it easy to get the exact amount I need.

Quote by @%username% on %date%