Roots Market And Green Dragon In Lancaster, Pa

Business By jimagination Updated 10 Sep 2010 , 7:02pm by jimagination

jimagination Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimagination Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 1:59pm
post #1 of 9

I am thinking of setting up a stand to sell little cakes and cinnamon buns and such at these farmers markets in Lancaster, PA. Does anyone know if I have to be licensed or such to do so. As it is a HUGE Amish area and they sell all kinds of stuff and I am assuming they arent licensed I wonder what they rules are...I cant find out until Monday and it has been driving me nuts trying to plan for what Id need and such and Im worried it will be something I cant do and have watsed my time and energy on.

8 replies
vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 2:10pm
post #2 of 9

you must be licensed by the department of ag. to sell anything you bake....Love the green dragon!!

jimagination Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 9

Darn it! We just moved and there is no way they will license the small kitchen we have. I have o=indoor dogs and kids. Well, maybe I will have to figure out something else....

vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 1:36am
post #4 of 9

why wont they? basically need approval from your township, and no indoor pets...kids dont matter ( i have 5) they are just not allowed to be in the kitchen when u are working. Pa is an easy state,, i had approval in 2 months from the department of ag, would have been quicker but had to wait on the townships monthly meeting to get their approval to send in to the dept of ag

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 1:54am
post #5 of 9

Are you in Lancaster city? That may be why. Most of the cities here in PA have their own inspectors, and their own regulations, which are almost always tougher than state requirements. I'm in Eastern PA, and the city I live in not only does it's own health and code inspections, but also provides inspection services for many of the surrounding townships, and uses the same standards as they do in the city where I live.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

jimagination Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 6:33pm
post #6 of 9

No Im in Manheim Township and have two indoor beagles.

Tiffany0481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany0481 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 6:48pm
post #7 of 9

I am so glad to see this post! I have been wondering who is on this site from/around Lancaster. Let us know if you do set up a stand at Roots! I will definitely come visit!! Good luck!

Tiffany0481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany0481 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 6:52pm
post #8 of 9

I just checked out your website ... quick question ... Do you have a commercial kitchen that you bake out of currently? I saw that you have been in business since 2006 so I was curious. If that is the case, why couldn't you bake whereever you do for your business and then sell at the market?

Just a thought!

jimagination Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 7:02pm
post #9 of 9

Well, we just moved last month. Prior to that I was in Berks County with a kitchen that was suitable and apparently wasnt doing it legally. For some reason I was under the impression that Home bakeries just couldnt make restricted items like meringues and such and that an inspection wasnt needed. I even had my own free range chickens for eggs. icon_sad.gif Miss them!

WOW! How'd I miss that? Was it different when I started in 2006 or was I just negligent in researching more in detail?

Anyway, I believe I have a couple of solutions in the works. A good friend of mine has no pets and no kids and he is going to let me use his kitchen to be licensed and bake in and my husband , who is in the process of opening his own insuance agency, mentioned the possibility of giving me a little space in his location to turn into a kitchen in Ephrata. We'll see. Cross your fingers! I make some killer cinnamon buns that I would love to sell- Definitely on the level of Cinnabons. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%