How Soon Can I Bake My Cakes?

Decorating By SLongest Updated 9 Sep 2010 , 11:17pm by Karen421

SLongest Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 1:16pm
post #1 of 9

I have a delivery on Sunday and have to work Friday and Saturday...would it be ok to make my cakes today? If I do, should I wrap and place them in the fridge or freezer. Also, can I crumb coat it today, or would that be too soon? Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

8 replies
Karen421 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 1:28pm
post #2 of 9

Yes you can bake today! You can then wrap them up and pop them in the freezer and they will be just great! When you go to use them, take them out and thaw them completely before you unwrap and you will be good to go!

erincc Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 2:04pm
post #3 of 9

ITA with PP!

SLongest Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 3:32pm
post #4 of 9

Thank you sooo much!!!

catlharper Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 3:42pm
post #5 of 9

Absolutely you can bake and freeze today. I unwrap, fill, crumbcoat while they are still frozen (easier than dealing with a thawed cake which can have mooshy tops and the crumbcoat seals in the ice crystals and all that moisture!) then let my cakes come to room temp and settle for at least 3 hours before putting on the final coating of fondant or BC. This allows time for the gas/air to escape while it's coming to room temp as well as time to settle so you can smooth out any buldges from filling splooshing out. I usually bake on Monday, fill/crumbcoat on Thursday, decorate on Friday and Deliver on Saturday...no problems!

Cat

SLongest Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 4:08pm
post #6 of 9

Cat, Thanks so much!! I will get to baking today for sure!!

dmo4ab Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 8:28pm
post #7 of 9

I usually bake, fill, and stack ahead of time. Works great and by the time they thaw, you have allowed plenty of time for them to settle.

sumerae Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 11:15pm
post #8 of 9

How far in advance do you make you icing?

This is really helpful info, thanks!

Karen421 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 11:17pm
post #9 of 9

I use indydebi's recipe, so I make it a few days ahead, so the air bubbles settle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%