Attaching Cake To Board ?

Decorating By yummy Updated 9 Sep 2010 , 1:45pm by Motorhead

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 4:21am
post #1 of 8

Recently my cakes has been slidding off the board; never had this problem before. I was using med/stiff bc; I'm thinking about changing to something else. What do you all use to attach your cakes to the boards?

7 replies
tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 4:24am
post #2 of 8

stiff buttercream or RI...always. I prefer RI best.

yummy Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 4:27am
post #3 of 8

Thanks Tesso! You're the first to reply to my post and I'm the first to reply to yours. LOL

I was thinking dots of candy melts; do you think that will work?

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 4:31am
post #4 of 8

I can only swear by royal icing. I have moved some monster cakes and have taken them through some rough terrain. And have never had them slide.

I have never really played with candy melts, so I dont have much to offer on their dependancy.

edited to add.. I also make sure I use a good amount and smear it around on the board. In my area I cant take a chance on a cake sliding. over kill is the only way to go!! icon_biggrin.gif

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 11:37am
post #5 of 8

RI works great, although sometimes I'm lazy and just use BC. But I can't say that I'm delivering monster cakes! Usually the biggest cake I need to transport is a double layer half sheet, and the weight of that thing keeps it from sliding. I'm more worried about the top layer shifting during transport.

I wonder why your cakes started sliding? Was it warm? Were they stacked cakes that needed a center dowel?

yummy Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 1:32pm
post #6 of 8

Cakeythings, it only happened twice. Both times, it was just a 2 layer fruit filled cake. I took all the necessary precautions I've learned here (stiff dam, not too much filling, settling etc...). The first time it was the top tier and the second it was the whole cake. It wasn't damaged it was just touching the sides of the box and smooshed the bc; both were iced in bc.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 1:39pm
post #7 of 8

We have had some unbelievable temps this summer, and I switched to melted chocolate, because I had it handy, it worked really well! Good Luck

Motorhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motorhead Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 1:45pm
post #8 of 8

i usually always use bc, but i have in a pinch used corn syrup and RI. i find that corn syrup works best with my carved cakes, as i am usually delivering them assembled 100miles. HTH icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%