First Wedding Cake - Few Questions

Decorating By sakuen Updated 9 Sep 2010 , 5:00am by tesso

sakuen Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 3:25am
post #1 of 2

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to the Forum, and have read through a lot of posts, but have a few questions. I am making my first wedding cake for a friend of mine in a month. I made a test cake this past weekend and the structure held together. It is a three tier (12", 10", 6") carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. I have dowels (hard plastic hollow ones) and cake board supporting each tier. I am NOT going to put a long dowel through the center of all the tiers. How many dowels would you suggest for the 12" tier? the 10"?

Because I have never transported an assembled cake before, I have decided to frost each tier and transport each tier separately in a cake box to the venue and assemble on site. I thought that it would be safest this way.

Once on site, can I assemble directly onto the cake stand, and then put the whole cake on the cake stand in the refrigerator uncovered? (Will being on the cake stand be difficult for the caterers to maneuver out of the fridge?) If it has to be covered, how should I cover it? It has to be refrigerated because of the frosting. I have to do this in the morning (the wedding is in the afternoon and I am also in the wedding party!) so it will be in the refrigerator for 7-8 hours.

I am thinking of having them take the cake out 3-4 hours to let it to come up to room temperature (that is how long the test cake took). Is this okay?

The florist will be decorating the cake. At what point should he/she do this? Besides using non-poisonous flowers, are there any considerations that I should tell the florist? I've never decorated a cake with flowers before and thought it would be best for the florist to do it.

Thanks!
Gigi

1 reply
tesso Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 5:00am
post #2 of 2

The best advice I can give you.. If that cake is going to be moved at all while assembled. Then put a dowel rod through the WHOLE assembled cake. YOu can not expect the staff to take a whole lot of care when moving that cake.

I would NEVER leave the flowers up to the florist to place on the cake. but that is just me. The florist is worried about getting their pieces set out. Many a florist has butcherd a wedding cake with their inpatient rush of just jabbing flowers wherever they can stick them.

As for when to set the cake out.. hopefully someone else has that info for you. I dont use perishable fillings so cant offer any first hand experience on that. sorry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%