Non-Toxic Artist Chalks?

Decorating By TexasSugar Updated 9 Sep 2010 , 3:44pm by TexasSugar

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 5

For those that use these, can you tell me what brand you use, and what section of Michaels you find them in?

I'm going to be teaching a gumpaste flower class soon, and while I am switching over to Crystal colors to use for dusting I do not want to share my $5 containers of them with students.

I do have some non toxic petal dusts that I an debating on loaning out in class, but I thought the chalks would be another option for them to use at home since you can't get any of the petal dusts locally.

I'm just not sure where in the store to look, and what brand if any, works best?

4 replies
Erin3085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erin3085 Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 8:56pm
post #2 of 5

I don't know about getting dark or bright colors, but for me, Crayola chalk works splendidly for pastels, especially the yellow for inside the petals of a flower. icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 8:58pm
post #3 of 5

I bought them at Hobby Lobby, in the artists section. The box was $5 and it has 48 colors.

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 9:02pm
post #4 of 5

Michaels has the same type of thing. I can't remember the maker, but look in the artist sections (ours was on the end cap) and make sure it says non-toxic chalk, since there are others. 48 colors so a great selection.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 3:44pm
post #5 of 5

Texas_Rose, do you know what brand it is?

I looked the other day at Michaels, but couldn't find any. Was looking in the art section where the paints and drawing pencils were, so I'm not sure if I just missed it or what. If I have time before or after class tonight I'll ask about them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%