Decorating By amyoungbl00d5 Updated 11 Apr 2012 , 3:48am by daprincessnora

amyoungbl00d5 Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 6:04pm
post #1 of 11

So I have a princess cake coming up. Does anyone know if there is a tutorial on how to make a tiara for the cake?

10 replies
mikigaelen Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 11:06pm
post #2 of 11

I just made a tiara out of royal icing. I printed out a template, taped the template to an empty spaghetti jar, taped parchment paper over that, and then piped the royal icing over the design in three layers. I let it dry for three days then I peeled it off.

It is a fragile process, but it comes out looking amazing. I will be tinting it with pearl and silver dust this weekend before I put it on a birthday cake.

This is the template i used: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1180259

amyoungbl00d5 Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 11:30pm
post #3 of 11

THanks so much!

TrixieTreats Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 11:32pm
post #4 of 11

I recently did a tiara (I haven't uploaded the pic yet) I made it with gumpaste rather than royal because royal tends to be too brittle for my nerves icon_wink.gif
I used a clay gun and extruded the gumpaste in a medium sized round rope/string and made the tiara around a plastic fondant bucket. Here is a link to the photo:

I just made sure I did it about two days in advance so it would dry properly, then I painted it with luster dust/vodka.

I adapted my strategy by using this tutorial:

Karen421 Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 11:38pm
post #5 of 11

There is a great tiara in the most saved today, you might want to take a look at that one, and here is a video from you tube:

weirkd Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 11:45pm
post #6 of 11

I recently did a tiara for a little girls birthday. It was made out of RI and it was very hot and humid. I would go to color it and it would crumble. I remade the thing three times and the last one broke ten minutes before she picked it up! I even had tried putting chocolate over it to make it more stable. Nope. So not sure if the humidity had something to do with it but Ive made one before and didnt have that much trouble but it was also in November. So if you want to save yourself from pulling your hair out, I suggest the extruder/gumpaste method. Just print out one of the designs in the pattern section on here and use the same method you would have used for RI with tacking it to a jar, putting wax paper over the design. But use gumpaste! You will be able to keep your sanity intacked!!

JenniferMI Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 12:35pm
post #7 of 11

I know of an awesome tiara mold.

PM me if you would like more info.

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

greengyrl26 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 12:41pm
post #8 of 11

tiara mold? Please tell us all!!!

tastyart Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 12:44pm
post #9 of 11

I made one with white chocolate. It was VERY fragile. Beautiful, but fragile. I used the same method mentioned above with taping the pattern on a jar. If you choose royal, make sure you grease the surface of the waxed paper/parchment paper first.

Karen421 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 1:20pm
post #10 of 11
Originally Posted by JenniferMI

I know of an awesome tiara mold.

PM me if you would like more info.

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

Please, Please tell us all! icon_biggrin.gif

daprincessnora Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 3:48am
post #11 of 11

I found the posted tutorial of @trixie treats very helpful. Will practice a tiara this week end.

Quote by @%username% on %date%