The Next Great Cake Artist ?????

Lounge By sharinSharon Updated 21 Sep 2010 , 12:30pm by costumeczar

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 1:48am
post #31 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharinSharon

so..... i just choose to be EXTRA careful. if you don't believe i'm a cake decorator and do great work.... well, your loss i guess.

icon_confused.gif I guess...

I am speechless. Seriously.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 1:51pm
post #32 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharinSharon

About the Cupcake Girls show on TLC.... I can get past the fact that they don't like cupcakes or don't know a thing about how to make a good one and they sell them.....What I can't get past is the fact that they have a show about it! There are WAY more cake decorators out there that run a business successfully that could teach the same type of message AND show some great ARTWORK and passion in what they do! I just take it personal that most of us who do cakes and cupcakes do so out of passion and love for baking and decorating and these to yahoo girls just wanted to make a buck by jumping on a "Sprinkles" based bandwagon!! And they now get paid to be on TV because of the business side???? They are out of money so they can't be that good at business either! It's just my opinion

They're expanding too fast, IMO. Doesn't mean they're not good at business, but it might. Editing is everything in those shows, so I'm sure they only show the more dramatic events. If more people understood the work that goes into a business they wouldn't necessarily even want to go into business to begin with. This show might be a good wake-up call for people who think that it would be a ton of fun to open a cake shop.

I think there might be some confusion here. The show where they are out of money is Cupcake Girls on WE. The TLC show is DC Cupcakes about the women who run Georgetown Cupcakes, and I assure you they are NOT out of money. The line to get cupcakes there is BLOCKS long! It's totally insane.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 2:19pm
post #33 of 37

Ah, okay. I'm talking about the Cupcake Girls show. I hate cupcakes in general, so I usually don't watch anything cupcake-related icon_wink.gif

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 5:17pm
post #34 of 37
Quote:

Ah, okay. I'm talking about the Cupcake Girls show. I hate cupcakes in general, so I usually don't watch anything cupcake-related icon_wink.gif

I actually don't watch much of these shows myself, because I find the women on both shows not worth my time! icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 5:33pm
post #35 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchockeyguy

Quote:

I actually don't watch much of these shows myself, because I find the women on both shows not worth my time! icon_smile.gif

I can't comment on that, heh heh heh...

I didn't even know there was another show other than the one in Toronto. There are too many cake shows on these days, and I thnk that's why I find the cupcake girls one intersting. It's not about cupcakes, it's about them running their business.

shanney54 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanney54 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 10:48am
post #36 of 37

I watched Cupcake Girls for the first time this weekend. I watched two episodes and can't watch any more. The only time that I ever yell at the tv is either when Alabama is playing football or the Red Wings are playing hockey. That was not the case when I was watching Cupcake Girls. How can you have a bakery and not know how to bake? I saw them baking on there after most of their staff quit, did they learn how to when they opened the business?

costumeczar Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 12:30pm
post #37 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanney54

I watched Cupcake Girls for the first time this weekend. I watched two episodes and can't watch any more. The only time that I ever yell at the tv is either when Alabama is playing football or the Red Wings are playing hockey. That was not the case when I was watching Cupcake Girls. How can you have a bakery and not know how to bake? I saw them baking on there after most of their staff quit, did they learn how to when they opened the business?

Plenty of people run businesses where they don't know how to do the thing they sell. Think of all of the celebrities who have clothing and perfume lines. They're not in the lab mixing formulas, and they're certainly not sewing the clothes. They hire people to do that. You don't ahve to be a cake decortator to have a cake decorating business, you can always hire someone to do that. I find the show interesting, like I said before, because it kind of shows what goes on behind the scenes at a business.

Those two are franchisers, too. Their business model seems to be to start the main business then sell the franchises, which is a different model than just opening one shop and running it yourself. The McDonalds "empire" is based on that model, wasn't that the first one to start doing things like that? I saw a show once about it and it said that Roy Kroc (I think that was his name, correct me if I'm wrong) bought a burger place and deliberately designed the workings of the restaurant to be something that he could then sell to other people who wanted to open a franchise. That seems to be how the cupcake girls are dong things, too. I find it interesting, but I personally don't need to watch another show about people decorating a giant unnecessary and unrealistic cake in 6 hours. It's been done to death.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%