Bendy Chocolate Letters!

Sugar Work By dsilbern Updated 13 Sep 2010 , 1:19pm by dsilbern

dsilbern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilbern Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 5:22pm
post #1 of 4

I have learned to have a sense of humor about my cakes. icon_biggrin.gif 'Cause I can never leave well enough alone and try stuff I have no clue how to do.

I made this cake and was happy with it but knew the chocolate letters would never stay nice cause they were trying to melt just from me touching them to put them on the cake.

Soooo, how does one make a chocolate design that doesn't do a COMPLETE BACKBEND by the time it's delivered.
icon_redface.gificon_lol.gificon_eek.gif

(I'm a hobby baker and this was for my daughter's teachers at daycare on her last day there. No paying customers to be angry!)

I melt my chocolate with shortening to make it smooth. Usually only dip things in it and it's fine for that. Is chocolate the wrong medium, is it a technique issue or should I have not added shortening?

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1798319

3 replies
emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 6:08pm
post #2 of 4

Chocolate can work, but only if you can make sure the temperature is going to be cool enough so it doesn't melt. If it starts to bend, it's too soft or too warm. Also, even if the temp is cool enough, direct sunlight will still melt it. Indydebi has a great story (and a great save!) regarding chocolate and a bit of sunlight! icon_wink.gif

In warmer climates, you would be better off using gumpaste or a fodant/gumpaste mix. Some commercial fondants are chocolate based, or they have a dark brown which tastes like chocolate, so you wouldn't lose that taste.

HTH!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 11:25pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilbern

I melt my chocolate with shortening to make it smooth. Usually only dip things in it and it's fine for that. Is chocolate the wrong medium, is it a technique issue or should I have not added shortening?

To make chocolate smooth for pouring, but still set up firm, shiny, and with a nice "crack" when you break it, you should NOT use shortening. Either use nothing or use Paramount Crystals.

Also, if you're using real chocolate, you have to temper it properly,too, or it can set up soft. Another trick is to melt 1/3 to 1/2 real chocolate and use candy melts for the rest--don't need to temper this and you get the flavor of the "good stuff".

If you're using candy melts, you don't have to temper, but you have to be careful that you don't overheat them when melting them.

HTH
Rae

dsilbern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilbern Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you very much for the replies - I will be trying this again using this info.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%