Premade Fondant Vs Homemade Fondant

Decorating By brian1974 Updated 8 Sep 2010 , 11:18pm by beesweetcakes

brian1974 Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 1:32pm
post #1 of 3

So i have dabbled in MMF quite a few times, sometimes it comes out perfect and sometimes it seemed to tear easier or druy out too much.... So i have recently been using satin ice to cover cakes and had very little trouble covering the last 2-3 cakes i have made.

So apart from price being a factor - is there any reason to go back to making homemade fondant, do you find people like mmf or chocolate mmf over premade fondant (satin ice, fondarific etc)

Being time limited myslef and doing this as a hobby( making for friends and family alone), i have found that just pulling fondant out of a pail to speed up my process...

any comments appreciated -

2 replies
dinascakes Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 1:56pm
post #2 of 3

Personally, I like premade fondant to work with for figures and details. The consistency of it is easier for me to work with. But I usually make a batch of MMF to cover the cakes in. I like the way it tastes better and so do people that have tried it. I find less people peel it off when they know it's homemade and tastes like marshmellows. AND, of course, the cost...I don't spend as much on premade because I only use it for minimal things. HTH

beesweetcakes Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 11:18pm
post #3 of 3

I prefer premade fondant, but I may try to make it myself. I live in Japan on a military installation. I just placed an order today for Satin Ice fondant and the shipping costs more than the fondant. I may have to rethink my ways.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%