Can I Bake Friday And Not Ice Until Sunday?

Baking By lrcheer1 Updated 8 Sep 2010 , 7:40pm by Pallison

lrcheer1 Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 1:30pm
post #1 of 7

I have 5 dz cupcakes for Sunday but I am going out of town Saturday morning. I will be back Sunday around lunch. The party is Sunday at 5:00. My question is can I back them on Friday and ice on Sunday? Will the cupcakes go bad? How should I store them?

6 replies
Kimmers971 Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 1:46pm
post #2 of 7

Yes, keep them in a box and wrap the box in plastic wrap.

LindaF144a Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 2:16pm
post #3 of 7

You can ice them before you leave too. That will prevent the tops from getting sticky.

And even if they do get sticky, the icing covers it up and nothing else bad happens.

But like Kim said, be sure to store them in an airtight packaging. I finally broke down and bought some cupcakes carriers at Walmart. They work great. They have it where you can store a dozen or several dozen. Wrapping the box will work fine also. The one thing you don't want to do is keep them out in the open or put them in the fridge.

Pallison Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 6:33pm
post #4 of 7

I'm curious...why wouldn't you want to put them in the fridge...?? Seems like Friday to Sunday is a while for a cupcake isn't it...? There's so much to learn...and I'm loving every minute of it...... icon_smile.gif

LindaF144a Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 6:46pm
post #5 of 7

Refrigeration will dry out a cupcake. If you think it is a long time, then freezing them is a better way to keep them.

Baking them Friday night and serving them Sunday during the day is not a long time, IF your cupcake recipe can handle it. Some of my recipes don't even taste better until the next day when the flavors have a change to meld together.

However, it will depend on that, so freezing them is a better option.

Kimmers971 Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 6:46pm
post #6 of 7

Uniced and in the fridge will suck out the moisture from the cake. It doesn't take long to dry out a tiny cupcake. As long as your room isn't too hot, on the counter wrapped will be fine.

Pallison Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 7:40pm
post #7 of 7

Wow, I had no idea the fridge would dry them out....that is really good to know...thanks guys....you have saved me from some trouble...!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%