Attatching Roses To A Wedding Cake

Decorating By heroes Updated 13 Sep 2010 , 8:46am by heroes

heroes Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 12:54pm
post #1 of 20

The wedding cake im making in a few weeks has roses cascading down the three tiers, do I cut the rose at the base so it will sit flat and glue it on with royal icing?? xx

19 replies
Malakin Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 1:11pm
post #2 of 20

What type of roses will they be? Real, RI, Fondant, BC, or Gumpaste?

msulli10 Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 1:17pm
post #3 of 20

I made my roses on toothpicks. I actually stick the toothpick into the cake if the roses are going down the sides. If they are just laying on the cake, then I use a dab of buttercream if the roses are going on a buttercream cake. If they are going on fondant, I use tylose glue mixture or melted chocolate.

Unlimited Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 1:32pm
post #4 of 20

If they're air dried buttercream roses, they're probably fairly flat on the bottom already so it wouldn't be necessary to cut the bottoms off. You could attach them with royal or a dab of BC, or let the BC leaves that you add be the glue.

Also, if they're air dried they don't need a lot of "glue"... if you start your cascade by stacking roses at the bottom tier and work your way up, the lower roses are helping to support the rest of the cascade (so they really aren't only stuck on the cake sides).

heroes Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 9:41am
post #5 of 20

She wants Fondant roses on a fondant cake, with the roses caskading down the 3 tiers, Ive never done caskading before so Im a little nervous incase they fall off or something.

I didnt think you could put toothpicks into a cake, doesnt the little bits of wood come off?

lynndy-lou Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 10:17pm
post #6 of 20

Royal icing but they will need support whilst drying.

dchockeyguy Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 10:30pm
post #7 of 20

As I mentioned to another poster today, I would NOT recommend sticking toothpicks into a cake for flowers. If part of one breaks off, and someone eats it, you could have a lawsuit on your hands. As others have said, RI is probably your best choice.

kansaslaura Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 10:30pm
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by heroes

She wants Fondant roses on a fondant cake, with the roses caskading down the 3 tiers, Ive never done caskading before so Im a little nervous incase they fall off or something.

I didnt think you could put toothpicks into a cake, doesnt the little bits of wood come off?

I don't think there is any problem with using toothpics. I use them all the time to test cakes before removing from the oven.

dchockeyguy Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 2:53am
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

Quote:

I don't think there is any problem with using toothpics. I use them all the time to test cakes before removing from the oven.

I think there's a difference in testing your cake with a toothpick and leaving a toothpick in the cake with a flower attached to it. You aren't actually leaving the toothpick in the cake in the former for someone to find in an unfortunate way.

aswartzw Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 3:11am
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchockeyguy

Quote:

Quote:

I think there's a difference in testing your cake with a toothpick and leaving a toothpick in the cake with a flower attached to it. You aren't actually leaving the toothpick in the cake in the former for someone to find in an unfortunate way.

Use toothpicks or make your roses on wire and insert the wire into coffee straws. And, no, you shouldn't be giving guests pieces of cake with flowers still attached and no, you won't have splintered wood in the cake.

And honestly, if you want to be nit picky, a toothpick is just as likely to splinter when testing as inserting it into a cake with roses.

Formynana Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 3:27am
post #11 of 20

There are several kinds of toothpicks . Flat ones are usually what one tests the cake with . When making the flowers, use round tooth picks, rule of thumb is tooth pics should be about 3" in length. icon_smile.gif

kansaslaura Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 1:40pm
post #12 of 20

Cooking channel is showing episodes of the French Chef--anyone remember Julia Child?? She relished in the joy of cooking and baking before all the phobias set in.

Do yourself a favor and watch it. Julia would have fallen down laughing if someone came into her kitchen and worried if a toothpick holding a flower to a cake would leave splinters in a cake. Ever feel like we all worry about too many things? I think the most ridiculous example I've seen lately is the new touch-free soap dispenser so you don't have to touch the pump BEFORE washing your hands.

Gimme a break.

I've used 1000's of toothpicks for many things over the years and never ever once found one splintering into anything.

And.. I never heard of using one kind (flat) for cake testing and another kind--round for other things. I have round ones period and have never had a problem.

Sigh...

lynndy-lou Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 2:02pm
post #13 of 20

The point is you can just attach using royal icing. Are the roses cascading down the cake?

mireillea Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 2:35pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:

I think the most ridiculous example I've seen lately is the new touch-free soap dispenser so you don't have to touch the pump BEFORE washing your hands.

Gimme a break.

I've used 1000's of toothpicks for many things over the years and never ever once found one splintering into anything.

And.. I never heard of using one kind (flat) for cake testing and another kind--round for other things. I have round ones period and have never had a problem.

Sigh...

KansasLaura, I love you! You made my day!

As for the roses, I use roses or other flowers on all my cakes. I wire them and stick the wires in flower holders. I personally don't like the look of roses glued to a cake with royal icing or other glues (such as tylose glue). It looks less natural. But then again, that is just my opinion...

mrscunningham Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 2:52pm
post #15 of 20

"I think the most ridiculous example I've seen lately is the new touch-free soap dispenser so you don't have to touch the pump BEFORE washing your hands. "

I actually thought this was a great invention and I kinda wish I had one in my kitchen so I don't get Crisco all over my soap bottle when I try to wash it off. icon_smile.gif

dchockeyguy Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 3:32pm
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscunningham

"I think the most ridiculous example I've seen lately is the new touch-free soap dispenser so you don't have to touch the pump BEFORE washing your hands. "

I actually thought this was a great invention and I kinda wish I had one in my kitchen so I don't get Crisco all over my soap bottle when I try to wash it off. icon_smile.gif

I actually HAVE one of those!

kansaslaura Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 4:43pm
post #17 of 20

My reaction is to the concept the ad is putting out there that this horrible pump is teaming with dreadful bacteria -- Just another scare tactic to feed the already germ-phobic public.

It's not a bad idea at all, but how about they advertise it for people with messy hands.. not to prevent unknown cooties(that are sure to be annihilated by the anti -bacterial soap contained within)! icon_lol.gif

I just whack the pump with my wrist if I'm goopy, btw thumbs_up.gif

mrscunningham Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 4:53pm
post #18 of 20

I use dish soap, so it is usually me fighting to keep the bottle in my hand and then washing it along with my hands> icon_biggrin.gif

aswartzw Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 12:01pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscunningham

I use dish soap, so it is usually me fighting to keep the bottle in my hand and then washing it along with my hands> icon_biggrin.gif

This is comical. icon_wink.gif

heroes Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 8:46am
post #20 of 20

OOps, not to sure how to read one of these posts about the splintered toothpicks, think I may have upset someone, sorry I didnt mean to bring on a arguement I was just asking a question for which I was unsure of.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%